Motorcycle Ride in Antigua and Its Surroundings

Lake Atitlan Travel Blog

Before leaving Antigua I happened upon a motorcycle tour shop owned by a guy from south of England (in Antigua for 9 years). He gave me a two hour motorcycle refresher on Thurs and a fantastic four hour tour on Fri--increíble, as we say. It was also lovely, brilliant, and awesome, I mean, ¡just far out! We went via narrow roads up into the mountains overlooking valleys, mountains, mist, clouds, and villages. Then he took me on the open (winding roads) up and down mountains at 60-80 kph--whew. We ate lunch in a little indígena town in a little local greasy spoon cafe above the vegetable market--all indigena everywhere. The guy, David, loves to talk and tell all his war stories, so that was cool as well.

Yesterday I came (via Panajachel with a hangover after Cafe No Sé the night before) to San Marcos (Atitlán). I got a massage, attended a yoga class, and did two different guided meditation sessions. Last night I had great Madras vegetarian curry at a restaurant owned by Brits. Yesterday and today I had snack lunch (at the "Snack Shop") owned by a Welsh woman. I guess about one quarter of England must be in these parts, but then again Wales is not in England is it? Is it true that the Welsh are the ones that couldn't make it to Ireland?

Tomorrow morning I'm off on a shuttle to Guate direct where I'm going to take the overnighter bus to Flores, then San Marcos (pop 3000) where they have the school. I've already corresponded and they have space. They have two options, one is to stay in San Marcos with a family, and the other is a private cabaña on lake Petén in the Petén-itzá reserve. I'll decide when I get there, although I favor the cabaña.

After the chill time I'm feeling ready for a little more Spanish and satisfied that I've had a couple of adventures.

Lake Atitlan