Guatemala to Mexico via Chicken Bus

San Cristobal de Las Casas Travel Blog

On Friday, I started in northeast Guatemala in the little Indian (indigenous) town, where I took the local “colectivo” to the nearby city, Flores. Then, after taking the overnight bus to the West, I arrived in Guatemala City and took a local bus to Antigua thinking that I could get a tourist shuttle to southern Mexico (San Cristobal de las Casas in Chiapas). I learned from the internet that a couple of Dramamines help get rested on overnight buses, and it’s true, they work for me. I got to Antigua at 7am, but the shuttle to San Cristobal had gone at 5am. I felt pretty good, so I decided to take “chicken buses” the entire way to San Cristobal. The gringos call the local Guatemalan buses “chicken buses” because the people bring all sorts of things on board with them including chickens. The tourist shuttle goes direct, however, I had to transfer five times on chicken buses to make the 12 hour trip to San Cristobal, but I really liked the experience, as tiring as it was. The buses are so reminiscent of India. However, unlike India most of them are souped-up US school buses. Each bench seat says “blue bird” on its back. On two of the buses someone had brought chickens or roosters on board. When I got to San Cristobal I treated myself to a hotel, not just a hostel, and, the next day, a two hour flight to Mexico City, instead of the 18 hour bus; the plane is only about $30 more. Well, that’s my story; I’m going to try to get a lot of sleep tonight.