Religious or not?

Buenos Aires Travel Blog

I love this city! I have been here days but it feels like weeks. The daily lives of the people here seem to be somewhat of a paradox though. Latin America generally tends to be much more religious than the United States and other parts of the world, but being in this city you would not guess that. The lives of people here seem to focus heavily on social life, and there are no stigmas associated with alcohol or public displays of affection. In a discussion I had with an Argentine woman, she said that atheism is becoming more and more common with the youth, and that she herself is a proclaimed Catholic, but does not practice in anyway. It is not uncommon (rather, it’s the norm) to go out until the early morning any given night of the week. In the US this is simply not done. The drinking laws in the US make it impossible and, further more, the South in the US doesn’t sell alcohol on Sundays. I have also noticed that there are not very many churches. This is another change from the South in the US. There is a church ever square mile in Georgia, but in Argentina they are few and far between. On top of that, there are many different houses of worship, not solely catholic churches. I am very interested to see the differences between Chile and Argentina, because Chile is known to be a far more religious country than Argentina, or so I’ve heard. I guess I'll see tomorrow!

Charles1964 says:
I'm an atheist myself.I'm very happy with my non-religious beliefs.Religion doesn't equal morality. I'm glad to hear the younger people in Argentina are learning to think for themselves.
Posted on: Dec 25, 2007
travelman727 says:
Great observations! I have visited Buenos Aires twice and noticed some of the same coldness towards religion. However, BA also has the second largest church in the world. Pastor Hector Gimenez leads a congregation of over 100,000 at The Miracles of Jesus Renewed Christian Church, better known as "Waves of Love and Peace." I had the privilege of attending one of his Sunday services.
Posted on: May 19, 2007