Ocean Road

Port Campbell Travel Blog

Bells Beach

600km return. The driver we had was pretty good, but not as talkative as the driver yesterday.   Very rushed and not as photo stops as I’ld like.  There were a few town/ food stops, but you never had much time for taking pictures.  I would almost recommend others to doing the stretch by yourself if possible - it would have to depend on the price and how much you like driving though.

The first stop today was at Geelong at the Aboriginal Cultural centre.  A one hour stop, a bit of morning teas and one of the employees there gave a historical talk and didgeridoo show.  After that it was onto Bells Beach ‘Surfing Capital of Australia’.

Bells beach
  Being a clear day you could also see the gap into the Port of Melbourne to the distance.  It’s only 1 kilometre wide and quite shallow, ships coming in need to have a local shipmaster on board to guide them into the bay.

We then went past the town of Aires Inlet where in 1983 the town was burnt down except for 2 houses and the lighthouse.  We also went by Lorne where they hold a Pier to pub swim - originally started as a competition between surf life savers and I think there’s now 4000 people who swim it.

The Ocean Road may be a bit hard for some people to handle - in areas the road and rails are within inches to the cliff with a steep and long drop to the ocean.

Great Ocean Road

It can be amusing to see some of the people on the bus, a couple of friends were getting a handful of sand from each beach they visit - I just hope they have care going through customs!

We had a stop to take photos of wild koalas and Rosella’s.  I was a little annoyed a couple of times, a few of the overseas tourists were trying to get that ‘stunning’ photo by climbing on tree branches, trying to touch the koalas.  You felt like saying ‘stop’ that’s a wild animal, and you are probably upsetting it.  Anyway, one of the koalas was quite active and it was amusing to see it go from tree to tree and eat the leaves.

I do have a few photos.  For those people with cameras with a lot of manual settings, and yet use mostly auto settings to point and shoot.

Koala
.. take care on how you move the camera.  I was in the rainforest, went what a lovely shot, click, moved the camera and I was confused as to why the camera took a while to take the picture *before* I remembered that the shutter speed was auto.

After that, we then went to the 12 apostles, Loch Ard Gorge and Tower Bridge.  Very amazing.  The tower bridge for those who don’t know - when part of it crumbled into the sea, a couple of tourists were caught on the now island, it took a couple of hours before a helicopter came by and winched them up.  Apparently just before the ledge crumbled a number of school students were just about to go across.  Luckily they were all on the mainland before the incident happened, and no-one was injured.

Rosella