Melbourne & St Kilda tour

Melbourne Travel Blog

Shrine of Remembrance

Today I started off with breakfast and then spent a half hour trying to find a chemist.  What a nice cold I woke up with yesterday, and it just got to my head this morning.  That finally went okay so I jumped on a tram to St Kilda.  I stopped off to have a look at the Shrine of Remembrance.  That was pretty moving.  After that I continued on my tram tour and went to St Kilda Pier.  St Kilda - well I don’t know much about it even though I did take the trip there.  I saw it, but can’t really saw that I know why people told me to see it.  I will say that I probably went on the wrong day and to the wrong street.  For those people travelling there - make sure you check with someone in the know about what to do there.  Still I enjoyed having a look at the pier and beach.  I took a few photos and then took the tram to Albert Park.

Albert Park was pretty good, I must have walked around half the pond.

St Kilda Pier
  Heaps of black swans who had little babies - all very cute.  Swans are very majestic animals.  I walked onto the Royal Botanic Gardens and then walked along the Yarra River to the city.  All up I think I was fully walking for about 4 hours.  Very sore feet.

After that I did some more walking to the Fitzroy Gardens and saw Cooks cottage replica and heaps of statues in the garden.  It was well laid out.

I went back to the hotel quickly changed and went up to the Rialto observation deck - that was fantastic.  I got up there to take pictures in the afternoon sun and then stayed until dark.

St Kilda Beach
  Quite a few other people had the same idea as well.  I think all up I was there for a couple of hours.

I then went across the road to see the towers light up outside the crown casino.  They burst huge flames into the air and you can feel the heat from across the river.  I saw the last little bit of the towers before deciding to hang around and see the next lot for some photos.  Talk about being in the right place at the right time.  I think that night they were celebrating 10 years or so of the towers and they had fireworks.  I was right in front of the fireworks when they went off - very few people on my side of the river, so it was quite a good show.

Later I tried to get a photo of the flames, but I didn’t succeed I just kept missing the bursts.  Still it was something to watch.

Statue in Fitzroy gardens
Statue in Fitzroy gardens
Horse driven carriage on the stree…
Horse driven carriage on the stre…
View of Melbourne city