Grampians

Grampians Travel Blog

Looking to the Grampians

After more commentary we got to our town for lunch - just 1 street really.  We then drove up into the Grampians.  Two lookouts and a water fall, and plenty of places to take pictures - very different view of the ranges.  One of the places had ‘Jaws of Death’ the story goes that up until just a few months ago you were able to get out onto the rock ledge and take photos, however when a film crew came up they removed the hand rail.  The Parks then just railed up the passage, so now you can’t get out there.  I was almost tempted anyway to go out there, but didn’t in the end.

The waterfall was wonderful.  Very easy down but I had some difficulty coming back up.  The guides say 400 steps, but it seemed more like 200 - I did start to count a little way up, which I why I can’t understand the 400 steps, unless they count the return as well.

View from the Grampians lookout
  After the climb, the driver made billy tea and some biscuits and vegemite along with lamingtons.  I passed on the tea, but grabbed a bite to eat.  Not too bad.

On the way back to Allart where we were booked for dinner, we were on the lookout for wild roos and emus (of which we saw quite a few).  One of them even had a joey - which was quite amazing.  We were then told about a tree branch which had fallen across the road, the driver who alerted us to that mentioned that bees had taken up residence in the branch.  So we drove to the site, and there it was.  7 of the guys all got out to help move the log and everyone commented that surely it can’t be so hard to move…  Then they stirred up the bees even more!  So a few flew into the bus - the brochures came in handy as swatters.  The guys also got stung, it was almost amusing.  Driver then called the local SES - as in the middle of the road it wasn’t going to be easy for people to spot at night and it would create quite a crash.

So after that, we got our dinner and watched ‘Man from Snowy River’ on the way back.
Jaws of Death in the Grampians