They are as crazy as they wanted to be

Sevilla Travel Blog

Sunday.

Since I couldn't find an English-language church in Sevilla, I slept in. After a late breakfast, I admitted to Jeff that I need a " Kelly" day -- just me, on my own.

As much as I adore that man, sometimes I need to be alone with the voices in my head, not trying to hold conversations or pay attention to anyone else.  I need a day to be very very boring, to just meander on my own, read, write, scratch, whatever.

And what did I do with the bulk of it?  I talked to y'all!  I spent 4 hours websurfing and writing that last burst of blogs.  That was fun for me.  I love to write and writing about my travels helps cement them in my mind.  It helps me re-experience the travel.

The tower.

When I'd worn my fingers to the nub, I re-joined Jeff and we went to the Sevilla cathedral.

Rumor has it, that when they decided to replace the mosque there with a church, they said "Let's make it so big, everyone will think we're crazy!"  They succeeded.  It's the 3rd largest cathedral in the world -- behind St. Peters in Rome and St. Paul in London.  It's gi-normous!  The altarpiece is 65 feet high!  That's, what, 7 stories?  It's taller than the building I work in!  That's just crazy.  I mean, truly crazy.

The choir area was large and impressive.  The altar was an amazing sight in gold and silver.  There was another altar area set up for some upcoming event and it had a huge silver sunburst over the altar. It looked like it had to be for the king or an archbishop.

One of the views out over Sevilla.

The cathedral contains what is generally believed to be (or at least accepted as) Columbus' tomb.  I like being near the caskets of dead famous people.  It makes history more real for me.  The first time I had that experience was in London 20 years ago and it was Henry VIII.  He went from being a weird story to being real.  There was only a foot of concrete and wood separating me from a famous historical figure.

I got the same feeling about Columbus.

The best part of the Cathedral was the tower.  It was built around the original minaret used to call the men to prayer.  You climb a ramp (because they used to go up by horse).  It's 26 (?) "flights" up and you have the most amazing view out over all of Sevilla.  We were the last ones up that day and the last ones down.

Me and the sneaky skirt.

It was windy up there and the wind was blowing from multiple directions it seems.  At one point, I realized my thin and easily-blown-about skirt was completely blown up around my waist in the back!  And directly behind me was 4 college-age types with a videocamera saying absolutely nothing.

Thank heavens for wearing the good undies that day!  Oh my!

But, finally, I said "enough". The whole thing really was over the top.  I don't, in the end, want a church to make my jaw drop. I want it to help my heart soar. This place was just about the jaw-dropping.

We splurged on a slightly more expensive dinner for our last night in Sevilla, enjoying a guitarist in a plaza, and wandering just a bit more before heading back to our rooftop room for a good nights sleep.

I enjoyed Sevilla and look forward to Valencia (our adventure tomorrow).

MelanieLewis says:
Oh yeah, tell Jeff the facial hair is a good look for him. He should hang on to it. :)
Posted on: Jun 08, 2007
MelanieLewis says:
Awesome!! Love the Columbus references, almost as much as you giving the free peak-a-boo to the college students. Had to laugh out loud at that one. Good thing I'm working from home today.
Posted on: Jun 08, 2007