Happy Toes

Sevilla Travel Blog

Oh, how I could I forget? There was one little thing we did before dinner.  Took in a flamenco show.

There´s a small center in the same courtyard as our hotel. Jeff really wanted to see a flamenco show.  I was ambivalent. The few I´ve seen in the US were kinda dull.  But this one had a good write-up in a Rick Steves guide so I figured I´d give it a try.

I freakin´ loved it!

It is a small space, the courtyard of a building, with a canvas roof overhead and a small wooden stage.   There were maybe 50 people in folding chairs around 3 sides of the stage. The wall behind the stage was covered in ivy and flowers.

They started with some flamenco guitar (oh my Lord, how beautiful) and then some singing (again, so beautiful).

Then the male dancer came in.  It seemed very improvisational between the guitarist, the dancer and the two "clappers" (two others who clapped a beat and vocalized some). It was dynamic and intense and daring and powerful and rich and utterly entrancing.

And sweaty and tricky to stay on the stage (he came off it at one point and darn near landed in a man´s lap!).  You could so feel his intensity and passion.

Also very percussive.  As much about the sound of his feet as about the movement of his body.

Then the woman came out.  Less percussive footwork but a lot more swirling of the skirts and expressive arm movements. She was just as passionate and intense and powerful and expressive, just used her arms and skirt more.

Then they danced together a bit.  Wow.

It was an hour show and I hardly felt the time go by.  That´s the mark of an impressive show.

I heartily recommend it as a special place to see flamenco if you are in Spain.

Casa de la Memoria de Al-Andalus