Sasquatch Music Festival

Quincy Travel Blog

the gorge
Hit the road in the morning to go to Qunicy, WA where the Gorge amphitheater is.  Packed up Dan's car with all our camping supplies and got to the campsite around 3pm.

This was my first camping experience, so I was pretty psyched about it (especially because I'm going to try to do some of it on my solo road trip this summer).  After setting up the tents, we went to the Sasquatch Music Festival to check out Manu Chao and Arcade Fire who both rocked the main stage.  When Bjork came on, we packed up and left :)

Saturday morning, the crew cooked some great food (anything tastes good when you're camping, but Sarah and Daurie definitely hooked up key items like strawberries, veggies, and hot dogs).  As we were getting ready, we got some crazy wind gusts (like mini tornados) that almost blew off our tents (an ominous sign of the night to come).
morning breakfast
  After a laying down rocks in the tents to prevent them from blowing away, we went to the Gorge again - this time, I wore shorts b/c I was way too hot the other day.  Sure enough, the wind and cold became so drastic, that Polyphonic Spree actually had to stop the show because all the stage lights above them were rocking and could have fallen on them (the MC kept yelling "F*CK THE WIND" every 15 minutes as the crowd cheered).  The spirit of the night took a positive turn when we got some food, I wore one of our blankets like a robe, and we went to see Michael Franti & Spearhead - finally, we forgot about the cold and the wind.  That group is so amazing, I've been listening to their album (Yell Fire!) over and over since then.
dan and christina having a laugh
  When they opened with the song, Time to Go Home, it was one of those pinnacle concert moments: discovering a new artist, soaking in an awesome song, feeling the crowd's energy (fighting the cold)... I didn't even mind missing Interpol for it.  Finally, we closed it out with the Beastie Boys - at first they, played some of their new funky music, but then they rocked their classics, and it was a great way to end the concert.

The rest of the night was also memorable, but not as fun - there was so much wind that our tent kept blowing off to the side - one whole side was bending so that it was in Dan's face while he was sleeping.  Then, we did what I called the "most annoying chore" of all time and took down the tent at 3am in the freezing cold and slept in Dan and Daurie's cars.  I definitely won't forget that camping experience!

**PS - Here is an article at Pitchfork describing the concert in detail with some great pics of artists on stage
sarah, dan
sarah, dan
dan, christina
dan, christina
daurie, sarah
daurie, sarah
dan, me, alan
dan, me, alan
sasquatch festival at the gorge -…
chilling at campsite at the gorge
putting up our tent at the gorge
Quincy