First day in Marrakech

Marrakech Travel Blog

I flew from London Gatwick to Marrakech with Easyjet. I arrived in Marrakech at 17:45.

As usual, you only realise you had forgotten something when you need it. Even though I had brought two travel guides with me, I did not have a map with the location of my hotel (Atlas Medina & Spa Marrakech). I didn't know how much a taxi from the airport to my hotel would cost me... and to my surprise, there was nobody at the airport's information desk. I asked one security officer how much a taxi to the town center would be and he told me 80 dirhams. Another person, from a shop told me that I would pay at most 150dirhams.

Just before getting the taxi I met a French girl who could not understand a word of what I was saying... but, despite the language barrier, we ended up sharing a taxi to our hotels... we paid 80 dirhams each, which I was told later was a very good price.

I arrived at the hotel, had a shower and decided to go to the Jemaa El Fna square to have a taste of the town. I was tired but excited at the same time. I made the mistake to ask the porter to call me a taxi and ended up paying 50 dirhams for it.

The first impression of the bustling square can be overwhelming: people everywhere, motorbikes and calèches crossing imaginary and non-delimited roads, the smell of barbecue coming from the food stalls, the music from the street performers, the big groups of (mostly) men surrounding the many storytellers… and if that is not enough to short circuit your brain, the continuous attempts by the sellers to drag you to one of the stalls or shops surrounding the square might do it.

I survived well and was brave enough to eat in one of the stalls, following the guide’s advice to go for well cooked food and from a busy stall. I had also a delicious glass of freshly squeezed orange juice. After walking a little bit around the square and checking the shops around it, I decided it was time to go back to the hotel for some rest.

Marrakech Hotels & Accommodations review
Comfort within a walking distance from the Medina
The hotel is located outside the Medina. Initially I thought I had made the wrong choice but my dear friend Marcelle quickly showed me that the hotel … read entire review
Marrakech