There is life in the Suburbs..

Evanston Travel Blog

fall!

Living in the city is great. I absolutley love it. I never want to leave. The phrase "living in the 'burbs" makes me cringe. Maybe this makes me a snob, but whatever. I love Chicago.

However, the more I venture out of the city, the more I appreciate the "greater Chicago area." Especially at this time of year. I just love fall.

My parents came up for the weekend. My dad was attending a conference at Northwestern and my mom decided to join him. We don't make it up to Evanston very often, so my mom and I decided to make the most of it and spend our day exploring. On Saturday morning I hopped on the EL and 45 minutes later I was in Evanston, ready to explore.

We walked around downtown Evanston for a while. There were plenty of shops and restaurants.

me and my mom by the lake.
It was kind of a rainy day, but there were plenty of people out. We even stumbled upon a Farmers Market. We didn't feel too much like shopping, so instead we got some coffee and jumped in the car and decided to drive around and find whatever we could find.

First, we happened upon the Evanston Art Center. (http://www.evanstonartcenter.org) If you know me, then you know that I'm interested in anything that has to do with art. Just mention the word "art" and I'm in. My mom obviously knows this about me, and when she saw the sign for the Art Center she took a rather abrupt and dangerous turn into the parking lot. Gotta love her.

The Evanston Art Center is a non-profit that offers art classes and exhibits local artists' work.

Baha'i House of Worship.
Admission is free. We walked around for a while. The exhibits were pretty small and most of the work was kind of out there. Upstairs there was a nice selection of student work. Mostly figure drawings, paintings and sculptures. Also, behind the Art Center is a walking path that leads to Lake Michigan.

After enjoying the lake, we got back in the car and drove the short distance to Winnetka to visit the main attraction for the day: the Baha'i House of Worship.

This temple is incredible. It is unlike anything else you will see in Illinois or even the United States for that matter. Construction of this beautiful temple began in 1921 and finally ended in 1953. The Baha'i Faith is a relatively new religion. Founded in Iran in 1844 by Baha'u'llah, Baha'i believe that "humanity is one single race and that the day has come for humanity‚Äôs unification into one global society.

inside the Baha'i House of Worship.
" The Baha'i are accepting of everyone. Anyone is welcome to visit the temple and pray. For more info you can visit http://www.bahai.us

The detailed architecture of the building is absolutley gorgeous. I felt like I was in Iran or India, but no! I'm still in Illinois! It was kind of surreal. The interior is just as amazing as the exterior. Words really can't do it justice; just look at the pictures. Or visit it for yourself! Although you aren't supposed to take pictures inside, I was able to sneak a few. My mom was afraid we were going to get arrested or something. Yeah right. I told her not to worry, I perfected my sneaky picture taking while I was in Italy. :)

After spending a good amount of time in the temple, we said goodbye to the Baha'i and moved on to Gilson Park.

the beach at Gilson Park.
This park is literally right across the street from the Baha'i House of Worship. The park was nice on our chilly fall day, but I'm sure it's even better during the summer. Gilson Park is pretty big. There are fields for soccer or football, open spaces for picnics and, of course, the beach. You can even rent small boats to take on the lake. Again, this park is more ideal for the summer but it was still beautiful with all its fall colors. We walked along the beach for a while and let the wind mess up our hair. It may have been overcast, but it was still a nice day.

We then decided to head up to Wilmette. We wandered around downtown for a while. We ended up getting more coffee (one can never have enough in my book). We then drove around the neighborhood to look at houses.

Gilson Park.
My mom wanted the houses with the huge front porches and I wanted the houses with really cool architectural elements. What can I say? I'm such an architecture nerd.

While driving around we got a call from my dad saying he was done for the day. We drove back to Evanston and met him for dinner at Giordano's. We enjoyed our deep dish pizza and they (thankfully) drove me back to my apartment. It was a really nice day. I enjoyed hanging out with my mom and wandering around the Northern 'burbs. They're not all that bad, but I still prefer my city. :)

carlos-enrike says:
Evanston is a lovely but anything as Chicago...
Architecture history there is amazing
I still remember the last year when i lived in chitown I also lived in evanston and winnetka...
definely was my best year ever, so far...
Posted on: Dec 03, 2009
festerwretch says:
Evanston is very nice!
Posted on: Nov 26, 2009
Baha'i House of Worship.
inside the Bahai House of Worship.
inside the Baha'i House of Worship.
Bahai House of Worship
Baha'i House of Worship
Baha'i House of Worship.
This shot reminda me of a scene fr…
This shot reminda me of a scene f…