AfricaEgyptCairo

The day from Hell

Cairo Travel Blog

From our balcony at the Marriott

This was supposed to be our last day and if had not been for incredible stupidity on our part, should have been a peaceful end to a great trip.  As it happened, however, it turned out to be a day from Hell!

We slept ‘til 9:00 and woke to what was only the second cloudy day since we’d arrived in Egypt.  We had breakfast at the Promenade Café and, having had our fill of buffet breakfasts, made our terrible error.  Though we’d spent two weeks hypersensitive to everything that passed our lips, we chose eggs Benedict for breakfast.  Two weeks of no ice, no salad, no brushing of teeth or even rinsing of toothbrush with tap water and we eat something containing raw eggs!  In retrospect, it was so stupid it’s embarrassing to recount.

From our balcony at the Marriott

Ignorant of the reaction that was already brewing, we sat at the pool just reading and relaxing.  At about 3:00 we discussed what to do about lunch.  I suggested we just get something right there at the pool and Lin suggested ice cream.  We'd gotten a menu and Lin suddenly said she'd rather eat in the air conditioned hotel.  By the time I returned the menu and took a quick dip to cool off she said she didn't feel well and wanted to go to the room.  I said, “Now that you mention it, I don't feel well either.”  Within a few minutes of reaching the room, I threw up and then Linda did.  We spent the next several hours taking turns in the bathroom and eventually, with both of us sicker than we’d ever been in our lives, I called Ossama for help.  Ossama was a lifesaver!  He sent a doctor but, given the traffic, it took him over an hour to arrive.  The doc spent a LOT of time with us, giving us each two injections as wll as a number of medications to take later.  Ossama told us later that the doctor told him he was shocked at our condition!  I talked to my assistant, Charlene; our travel agent, Suzanne and the insurance company about changing flights since we were in no condition to leave the room, let alone fly home and it was approaching time to leave for the airport!  Ossama had already taken care of canceling our ground transportation.  Of course, given Delta’s schedule, a 24 hour delay was impossible; if we stayed with them, we’d be stuck in Cairo for another 48 hours. After much consternation, we eventually switched our flights to EgyptAir 985 on Saturday morning. We spent a horrible night made infinitely worse by fears of what might happen if we had to go to a hospital.
pbug31 says:
really to bad you got sick. But very kind of Ossama to be there for you. :)
Posted on: Oct 26, 2009