AfricaEgyptCairo

Loafing at the hotel

Cairo Travel Blog

Linda in front of the Marriott

Finally, a day without a wake-up call!!  We slept ‘til 8:45 and had breakfast at Omer's, then sat at the pool.  Though we'd stopped at the reception earlier as requested, to make sure our room was squared away, we had a problem at the pool. When we went to sign the check, they said room 1215 had checked out!  I had a fit and eventually the snack bar manager and I had to go to reception to straighten it out.  Ugh!

Lin wasn’t feeling all that well so we hung in the room for a while.  Eventually we decided to do a little walking so this time went out the main entrance and headed south along the river.  It’s a pretty area but mostly residential.  Returning to the hotel, we did a little shopping at the hotel then chilled in the room, eventually taking a nap.

Woke about 7:30 and debated whether to cancel our plans for the show and just go to dinner but we ended up having a snack on the terrace, then took a walk on the streets again.

Near the Marriott
  Given that it was now dark, things of course looked different but it was still crowded with people.  Before heading back we stopped in a candy shop to buy some chocolates.

Our dinner reservation was at 10:30 and we knew the belly dancer was on at 12:30 so we took it very slowly starting with a Sancerre.   We both had tomato soup and salmon, then shared a crème brulée.  Initial entertainment was a small combo doing, doing what I imagine were contemporary hits.  At 12:15 they broke down and the stage was set for a rather large orchestra.  I could not see some guys in the corner but I'm guessing 10-12 pieces.  The only instrument I recognized was an accordion.  The belly dancer was absolutely great. She worked for almost an hour, changing outfits several times.  Long before she was finished he was absolutely drenched in sweat.  It was almost 2:00 when we crashed.
Cairo