Frustration at the airport

Cairo Travel Blog

 › entry 28 of 29 › view all entries

Wake-up was at 4:30 for a 6:00 pickup.  We were on the bus with a group from Insight.  Because we had added the extra days, Uniworld was not responsible for our airport transfer.  We had the option of arranging transfer with the concierge or of booking something with Spring Tours, the people who handle Uniworld in Egypt.  Thank God we opted to do the transfer with Spring since I had no written confirmation of our flight.  The airport security guy did not want to let us through with only my hand-written note and an explanation of what happened.  The Spring rep showed his ID, explained the situation and we were through.  Whew, that might have been a disaster!  The rep suggested we try the kiosk check-in.  We got through most of the process and had even changed our seat assignments but, at the end of the process, got a message saying that the kiosk could not process our request, we must see an agent.  The line was Loooong and it took well over an hour to get to up to the agent.  When I gave him our identification, he was very confused and I was starting to get the impression we were in trouble.  Eventually he said that we were not in the system…  had we checked in on a kiosk?!  It turns out that that process HAD worked, even to the point of changing our seats! 

Once through emigration, we discussed breakfast but I suggested (foolishly, as it turned out) that we first locate the gate, then return to the food court to eat.  When we reached the gate, there was a line to get through its security so I assumed we were loading.  When we were inside, however, we learned that our plane would be delayed but we had no hard data.  Eventually we learned we’d leave at 10:30 rather than 9:15 but by that time, we didn’t want to go back outside to eat.  Of course, 10:30 came and went with us still on the ground.  We’d remarked about the fog when we awoke and learned that our aircraft, which had come from Tokyo, was delayed into Cairo and thus late leaving.  I tried to send an e-mail to Al Fox to tell him we’d be late but there was no data service.  He’d told us, though, that he’d check with the airline before even leaving home and would be aware of any delay without ay input from me.  Consequently, I didn’t feel the need to call his cell in what would be for him the middle of the night.
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
photo by: vulindlela