Farewell to the group

Cairo Travel Blog

 › entry 24 of 29 › view all entries

Well, that’s the end of our time as a group.  Karl and Gisela had already left and the others would do so within hours while we’d be staying on to decompress.  Originally, we’d planned on simply adding a day.  However, because we were traveling on Delta and they have a flight only every two days, we had to add two.  In retrospect, it would have been far better had we left with all the others.

We said goodbye to Phyllis & Curt in the lobby, had a farewell chat with Ossama and the others.  In a gesture that would have monumental consequences for us, Ossama generously provided his mobile number and asked that we call him if we needed help of any kind.  Given that his responsibility to us had been fulfilled and that he now had some free days to spend with the family that he’s missed for the last two weeks, that was a generous offer indeed.  He said that he felt, that we’d become friends.  Truthfully, we felt the same way about him.

On our own now for the first time in almost two weeks, we headed out for a walk in the area around the hotel.  Though we were near a large international hotel, we noticed no other tourists; we were lost in a sea of locals and that’s exactly what I love.  As elsewhere, we found people to be generally friendly and we gave and got lots of smiles.  I’d asked Ossama for recommendations of Egyptian music CD’s and we stopped and bought several in a store he recommended. 

For a change of pace, lunch was in Roy's Country Kitchen at the hotel.  This was a bit of a kick; a country-western motif complete with Egyptian staff in checked shirts and overalls.  Afterwards, we just chilled in the room with Lin taking a nap while I wrote.  Dinner was at "Tuscany", also in the hotel.  We both had veal in a fig-balsamic reduction. It was fantastic!

On the way back to the room, we checked out the show lounge and made reservations for tomorrow night’s show.
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
photo by: vulindlela