tokio delights

Tokyo Travel Blog

Some things just don't serve up to be what you expect. I didn't realize what a fantastic decision I had made when I decided on the whim to visit Tokyo for a few days. Those few days became 2 weeks, and I had such a great time with just some really nice & fun people.

I clearly remember going to Tokyo in 2005 after months in Shanghai and just before starting my new job. It was of course a new experience like no other, especially when you compare life in Shanghai (I was fighting for cabs, shoving people outta my way and more!!) and the peaceful days in suburban tokyo - it was sorta like being in an alternate world.

But this trip was such an awesome way to begin the pig year. I certainly behave like one. Especially at the Tsukiji Fish Market where I ate for the first time such lovely toro that melt in my mouth, and sea urchin that was super duper tasty!

At Tokyu Food Hall in Shibuya, there is so much food that a dignified foodie would certainly go crazy. There's all that beautiful hand-crafted chocolate, Japanese sweet rice cakes, french pastry, ice-cream and what not. All perfectly wrapped in tiny pretty packaging. Every calorie was worth its while.

Foodie alert!

I highly recommend to all foodies Dai Wa @ Tsukiji Fish Market. The stuff's so fresh but be prepared to line up for at least, at least half an hour to get a seat at the counter. Not kidding!

Also, if you have space in your stomach, walking from the first market to the train station (hibiya line) there's this *omg* row of ramen, tempura and udon shops that you definitely should try. I didn't and live to regret till my next trip there.

And just a lil' class to round up the trip, it is a must to go some french delight that comes with Japanese top-notch service at Joel Robuchon's Atelier at Roppongi. I had one of the yummiest meals ever (beats whatever I ate in Spain... that's how good it was).

My stomach is happy!!