San Fran here I come!

San Francisco Travel Blog

I’m excited!  First, I’m going to San Fran.  Second, I get to see Will.  Third, I’m flying first class for the first time!  The flight to Houston was 50 minutes and I think the flight to San Jose takes 3.45 hours.  The in-flight movie is “Because I said so.”  Major Chick Flick.  It’s about a mom (Diane Keaton) who puts a personal ad in the paper to find a guy for her daughter (Mandy Moore).

Anyway, Will picked me up at the San Jose Airport and it was off to San Francisco!  We went to Fisherman’s Wharf and to Pier 39.  We got to see the sea lions before we wondered into the Mechanical Museum on the pier by the USS Pampanito.  It was AWESOME!  They had all sorts of old video games and carnival games.  They even had a guillotine and fortunetellers that looked like they were straight out of the movie “Big.

”

After that we headed to Chinatown.  On our way we passed the Saints Peter & Paul Church which is North Beach’s Landmark “Italian Church.”  Anyway, Chinatowns’ always interest me.  They are so busy and densely populated.  I love the bright facades, noisy markets and ethnic markets – it’s like a city within a city!

After passing through the gates of Chinatown, we went into St. Mary’s Square to find our bearings and figure out where we wanted to go next.  We decided to head back towards Fisherman’s Wharf (and the car).

The hills are really beautiful.

I love the architecture that comes from the hills!  I just worry about fires; I know that’s an odd worry, but if one catches on fire, they all will.  Anyway, I love the hills; I’m going to have great legs!

Back at Fisherman’s Wharf, we stopped and watched the Cheeseballs, a local band playing at the pier, before finding dinner at Swiss Louis, an Italian and Seafood Restaurant.  It took us a while to find a place to eat though.  Will hasn’t traveled with me before and didn’t understand my diversion for restaurants that have their menu translated into four languages.  Nothing yells “tourist trap” more.

Anyway, it was a nice restaurant that overlooks the sea lions on the docks.  It was great!  We got to see them without smelling them!  After dinner, we had a free tasting at the wine cellar connected to the restaurant.  Yea!  Free Wine!

Eric says:
Sweet, if you have any questions on things to do there let me know, used to live in Berkeley.
Posted on: May 16, 2007