monkey monkey and monkey

Fort Dauphin Travel Blog

to Berenty Reserve
Sometimes it can spoil the impression if I get so much information about the places in advance. It'll be like confirming the information I got is correct. So I prefer travelling without too much information, "go there and see what will happen". This time I came to Madagascar with only a small map which shows me a couple name of the major city.

In the early morning I took a flight from Antananarivo, the capital city, to Fort Dauphin. As soon as I arrived at the airport, I asked at the tourist information desk how to get to Berenty reserve. "You will find a white car in front of the airport, go there.
Alluaudia spiny plant
" When I went outside, I found there was a guy holding a clipboard with "Berenty" and a few tourists were already waiting in the white car.

Within 30 minutes we arrived at the Hotel Le Dauphin in the city. I wondered why but soon I rememberd that the only hotel in Berenty reserve was owned by this hotel and we had to arrange a tour to get there. Nobody was at the tour desk in the hotel. After waiting 1 hour, a guy came back from his break and finaly I could arrange my tour.

I was thinking to stay in the reserve for 2 nights to see monkeys as much as I can since I thought only 1 night wasn't enough. Unfortunately, a luxury cruise ship arrived at the port of Fort Dauphin yesterday and most of the driver in this city had been booked following a couple days. I had to choose to stay only 1 night or 3 nights. So I chose 3 nights and it cost 957,775AR including transport, guide, accomodation (360,000AR for 3 nights and for tax 2,000AR each night) and breakfasts.
Berenty Reserve
Sooooo expensive but I had no choice.

The road toward Berrenty used to be paved road, but now there are a lots of big hole, I'd say, every 5 meter. It seems it hasn't been maintained for a long and this is why it takes more than 3 hours to berrenty even though it's only 80 km from Fort Dauphin. The driver drives carefuly passing those holes over.

Crossing over a couple of rivers, flora changes. Not a big change, only a little, changing the shape of the leefs or so. I can't say I can see the difference.

After 3 hours I arrived at Berrenty reserve and I found I was the only guest today. so I'm QUEEN here. Okay, it's time to see and follow the unique monkeys!
Fort Dauphin