Home Cooking

Alykanas Travel Blog

Breaking the firewood

Had a bit of a longer lie in before getting up and sorted to go down to the front of the hotel for midday. Dimitris was already waiting for us , and it is a short journey up into the hills to get to there house.

Vicky and Dimitris live in the village of Kalithea, but further up than most of the other houses. There was a big earthquake that stuck Zakynthos in 1953 and most buildings on the island were destroyed. When the village was being rebuilt they built it closer to the main road, so when Vicky and Dimitris were setting up home they chose to build on the old family land back up on the site of the original village.

Right next to there house is an old ruined church. When we first started going up three it was full of rubble, but it has now been cleared, and every July on the churches Saints Day there is a service held in it.

Ruined Church

My son went off with Dimitris into the olive grove to find kindling wood to get the barbecue going,and we stayed at the house chatting to Vicky,as she prepared the food, and having Spiridula showing us all her toys :-D. Nice to stand out on the balcony and take in the views. From there you can see down over the bay at Alykes and Alykanas and over to Kephalonia. To the other side you can watch the planes landing at the distant airport and out to the island of Marathonisi in Laganas Bay.

Our boy was doing the fetching and carrying for the barbecue,voluntarily, and the meat was all soon cooked and we all sat round the table enjoying a really nice meal and having a chat about everything.

Up on the balcony
Unfortunately the time is to short, as although we are on holiday they still have a business to run. Dimitris managed to talk himself out of doing anything in the afternoon,so he could catch a few more hours sleep before working at night.

The rest of us all got in the car, and after dropping Spiridula at Dimitris mothers, went down to the Jungle Bar. I headed across to one of the other bars so that I could watch the second half of the Rangers v St Johnstone game, while my daughter helped her mother with her university maths assignment :-O. I came back across after the game and the quadratic equations were still dominating procedings. Joe came in and I sat and had a few beers with him while watching one of the English games.

At 6-20 pm we were going to walk back to the hotel to get changed, but Vicky offered us a loan of the car to get along and back, so off we went , with me as a passenger :-O Quick change and we were back in time for Vicky to get up the road. popped over to The Relax again for dinner .

Back to the bar after the meal and had a good gab with the others that were in. Last to leave again,but not really that late and Dimitris gave us a lift up the road again 8)

Sitting on the balcony
Sitting on the balcony
Vicky in the kitchen
Vicky in the kitchen
Meat Feast
Meat Feast
Told him to take a picture along t…
Told him to take a picture along …
Bay at the resort