Arrival At The Palace

Alykanas Travel Blog

Not Buckingham Palace

Arrived at 04-55 local time, and got through baggage reclaim relatively quickly. Checked with the reps waiting as to how many drops off there would be if we took the bus, as knowing where we were going would take a taxi if it was going to take to long. Turned out we would be just half an hour, so we waited and took the bus to the resort.

Arrived at the hotel,The Plessas Palace, and the receptionist had to be woken to get us the keys for our room. As soon as we were in the room it was time to catch up with some sleep . Woke up a few hours later, and the sun was coming out between the clouds so we decided to head for the beach.

The beauty of going to the same place, year in year out, is that you don't have to suss it out, you can hit the ground running.

View of hills from balcony of hotel
Normally we stay in the next village along, Alykes, but they run into each other and we knew our way to the beach easily. It wasn't overly warm, but it was pleasant enough to be sitting by the sea,which was a bit choppy.

wife and daughter decided to go for a walk along the beach but it wasn't long before my son and I felt the a few large spots of rain. Looking to the hills over the village you could see the torrential rain moving in and we decided to head back to the hotel, which was about 800m away. We were barely off the beach when the rain hit and just along the road a few folk walking ahead  were going into a taverna that was closed, but still had the canopy up.

The rain was stoating off the gound and was now accompanied by thunder and lightning,and one clap of thunder must have gone off practically overhead.

and the other way
If my boy had been any closer I think he would have ended up in my arms,he jumped that much. After a bit though it subsided and the two of us made for the hotel. We got there only to receive a text saying the other two had taken shelter in a snack bar on the beach run by a guy we know well, Kostas, and that he was asking for us. So we decided to to meet down there and sat and caught up with Kostas. He runs his snack bar, with the bit of beach and sun loungers, built a bar up in the village and opened it a couple of years ago, but the one thing that always impressed me with him, apart from his great command of English, was that he also lectures in Astro Physics.

After a while we made for the hotel and decided on a wee siesta before going out for the night,and it was 8pm before we headed out.

Down by the sea
we were staying at the far end of Alykanas, and had to go through the whole village and could see just how quiet the resort was. On the way between Alykanas and Alykes is probably the most traditional taverna called The Paradosiko and we decided to eat in there before going on to see our friends.

Had a great meal, with all 4 of us having Saganaki( fried cheese) as a starter, well it had been a year since we had been here. I had Kleftiko, the others had Soutzoukakia(meatballs), spaghetti with prawns and a Greek Plate(souvlaki,pitta,tzatsiki). All very tasty and a really nice atmosphere.

As soon as we were done we headed for the Jungle Bar,but first I had an errand to do. Firends from Glasgow,who also go over here regularly had asked me to drop off a haggis to  Vassilis, who loves all things Scottish and even has his own kilt.

Rain coming in over the hills
  It was about half nine when we got there. Our friends own it, and both were there when we arrived. Vicky had been waiting,with their daughter Spiridula, and said they had started to wonder if we had been delayed or had cancelled, but it was great to see them. Vicky's mum and dad were there as well and they stayed and had a couple of drinks before going up the road. We had met them a few times before, but realised it must have been 4 years since we had seen them at the wedding. Vicky took them as she was working during the days and Dimitris was doing the nights.

Things were really quiet,so we had a good chance to catch up with Dimitris. We first met him 19 years ago when he was 14 years old and it was him being able to speak so intellegently and confidently in English back then that made me start to attempt to learn Greek.

I'm STILL trying :-D

Later in the evening Dimitris introduced us to his seasonal favourite track, The Bloodhound Gang 'Roof Is On Fire'  which was played at full blast,despite the Greek laws on noise from bars ,especially after midnight .Quite funny but not for the sensitive or easily offendeded.

Stayed for a good while until about 1am before calling it a night and then walked it back to the hotel,which took about 25 minutes

huibdos says:
You had me fooled for a moment:
-a Greek prince
-a palace
-rainshowers
-terrace heaters
That all hints to England, Buckingham Palace.
In Greece they have: