Dancing fairies, no, I mean dancing ferry, not a fairytale

Gamlaraett Travel Blog

Gamlaraett ferry point

My bus from Torshavn to Gamlaraett was ready and I was on my way. The fog rolled around as we drove south and higher into the mountains. Moments of clarity along the mountain ridges made for such dramatic scenery. The fog and clouds had so many different colors of grey and white, like a great painting. Gamlaraett came quickly as it’s only a 20 minute drive, even in the fog.

The ferry was waiting to take me across to Skopun on Sandoy. It would be a 30 minute ride. This ferry was about midway, in size, between the Nolsoy ferry and the Suduroy ferry.

There were maybe 15 or so people and at least as many cars and 6 or 7 large trucks carrying goods. We set sail on time, the ferries are good about that, here.

Now, the two previous ferries were a picnic compared with today’s crossing to Sandoy. The weather was bad and the sea was rough. The waves were crossing our path making for a bobbing side to side, quite exaggerated for several periods. We would all just grab our things and look at each other, during those times. Those times didn’t last long but kept coming. During them the roll was a bit scary. I wondered about the weight distribution during this, I don’t know why. It wasn’t like I could do anything!!! I’m just being dramatic, I guess.

Ferry toilet with porthole
Ferry toilet with porthole
Gamlaraett and the ascending roadw…
Gamlaraett and the ascending road…
Waterfall into the sea.