Can we just please, leave!!!
Sorvagur Travel Blog› entry 23 of 28 › view all entries
So, I first went to the information desk for Atlantic Airways. I had a bit of concern about my connection with my Norwegian Air flight in
The bus would stop, again, at the airport in 40 minutes. I sat and read a car magazine and watched for the fog to let up. The bus came and I went outside but, I still couldn’t see a thing. I decided that I would not go. I didn’t want to get there and be unable to see or photograph the beauty and still have to walk back, a distance of 5+ kilometers.
So, I went back in and read for several hours. I then took a walk around outside and enjoyed some last mountain views. The fog had lifted a bit but, it was the right move, to stay.
It was now time for check in. After considering the options, I decided that I could make the connection, if I had the 90 minutes. So, I checked the bag. Upon doing so, I walk back to the waiting area and now the board says that we are delayed for 45minutes. Now, that’s a problem. That would mean if we landed on time, I would have to go to baggage claim, wait for my bag, change terminals, check in, go through security, and get to the gate. I didn’t see how this would be possible. The only hope was a gate delivery of my luggage.
So, I go back to the airline representative.
So, I’ll try to shorten the story from here. We took off late(r). We finally took off at , 1 hour later. I was sick to my stomach. I knew this would day had just gotten much longer and we were only just beginning.
I had text Rob with all of my information on the Norwegian Air flight. It says on my paperwork that they accept changes in name, date, and time of flight until 30 minutes, before the flight. I would text him upon arrival if I didn’t think that I could make it.