AsiaIndiaJaipur

another day in Jaipur

Jaipur Travel Blog

i'm riding an Elephant!
oct. 15
I got up early this morning ready for my elephant ride to the Amer Fort. The Elephant ride was included in my payment to the travel agency so Pawan just gave me the money.
it costs 570 Rs. (about $11.50 in Dollars) and they were supposed to give back the change, they didn't. That pissed me off.
that was the start of an unexciting elephant ride. They ran it kinda like an assembly line, i never got to know my elephant, pet it or even get the driver's name.
so i was alittle disappointed there. when it was time for me to get off the elephant, the driver wanted a tip, even after they had already take 30 extra rs. from me.
so i gave him 10 more, he was not impressed, that makes two of us. Kartik had said that the Amer Fort is a must,and now i see why.
Hawa Mahal, the Palace of Winds.
It's nothing like th Red Fort, it doesn't have a dark, warlike feel to it.
the decorations made me think of the muhgals, but it wasn't built by muslims, their was the shilla temple there, a temple to Kali, again, much like the Brahma temple pushy people trying to get my money and
being overwelmed made it less than pleasent, i really didn't realize it was Kali til later. After the Fort i went to the palace museum, i didnt have my camera on me and its a shame because there was so much to see there,
including two silver jars that are in the Guinness book of world records for being the biggest things made from one matiriel. after that i went to the observatory and saw all these ancient instruments to tell time
and read the sky. I went back to the hotel for a while but went out again later to see and actual Bollywood movie (Dil Bole Hadippa) in India.
Apparently Jaipur's Raj Mandir Theatre is
so popular and great that it's become a tourist attraction. once you walk inside you can understand why. it was much nicer than any theatre in the states. The movie was good too, even though it was nearly all in Hindi, i actually understood the whole thing!
After the movie i did something i'd been wanting to do, eat at a McDonalds in India! Many of the same things on the menu as in the states, like chicken nuggets and the mcChicken sandwich. Also there was things like a Paneer wrap and mexican borrito, and veggie pizza puffs.
I had a Chicken Maharaja Mac, which was a big mac with Chicken instead of beef, also had tomatoes on it. Oh yeah, and a large drink in India is the same size as a small in the U.S. time for bed, another early morning tomorrow.

im riding an Elephant!
i'm riding an Elephant!
Hawa Mahal, the Palace of Winds.
View of the mountain from the Amer…
View of the mountain from the Ame…
the entrance to the Kali inside th…
the entrance to the Kali inside t…
Ganesh