Where's my money?!

Dunedin Travel Blog

Just because I love this dubstep song.

Now I was thinking about moola and the best way to go about spending all of it in Japan, and am a bit confused. I've generally always used traveller's cheques - in Bali, in Thailand, in Paris... but someone told me not to bother and to just take straight cash. I nervously replied that it sounded like a bad idea because if my handbag got stolen there goes my funding for the entire trip. I guess I'd be in the same position regardless of what form of money I had. I mean if my credit card got stolen I still wouldn't have any money and I'd have the additional trouble of cancelling the card and trying to get a new one in a foreign country. What a mish.

So I checked my options out:
  • Credit card
  • Cold hard cash
  • Travellers cheques
  • Debit card
There's a variety of pre-loaded ATM-type cards and my head spins just looking through all the different fees and conversion costs etc.
I think my best bet would be to take some cash over for all the definite stuff I know I'm going to have to pay for - like going up Tokyo Tower or Disney World...and then see what options I have with my current Visa Debit Plus card with Westpac Bank in NZ. If anyone has suggestions, throw them my way!

jktweed says:
thanks for the advice!
Posted on: Oct 28, 2009
fransglobal says:
I only use ATM's and maybe carry a small amount of US dollars in a mix of cash and traveller's cheques as a reserve.

ATM's used to be a problem in Japan but now all post offices have ATM's which will accept foreign issued bank and credit cards.

I do advice having a list two cards and keep them sepearately.
Posted on: Oct 27, 2009