Wake up, unknown and explore!

Komotini Travel Blog

Maronia Village
It is 9 am and time to get up, I realize that I am a strange and unknown house. Mehmet has been to his office, he happily told me where where i can find everything  and I am making me a quick breakfast. After my breakfast I explore the city and its surroundings. Komotini is a mixture, passing through the city I think it can be just as good greece turkey or one of the Balkan countries. Later in the week I will understand, because the past is still visible and palpable. How can we understand the history of this area, and  the feelings which the people have against each other.
This week I faced this and it was a painful event!

The mother of Mehmet  had a delicious lunch prepared for us. When we arrived, there was family from Turkey and we used to lunch together. As we know from the Greeks, the food is always a party and I was there to take part.
four!, no three friends!
We were a family and that gave me a warm feeling. After lunch, we, Mehmet and his cousin Ahmed and I left to explore the surroundings.

Mehmet gets busy, as Ahmed speaks only Turkish and Mehmet should therefore act as interpreter.
We go on the road and our first stop in Marona Village, where we take a few pictures and where Achmed and I can smoke a cigarette. We talk and laugh a lot, really crazy, you just know each other and yet there is that feeling of friendship, and it is real!
Weather changes, dark skies, with occasional sunbeam. Mehmet wants to go so we obey. (LOL) We drive to the excavation of Marona. It is closed and we make a few pictures through the fence. During the trip we listen to music from the 80s. Mehmet is a real fan of music and knows all these names and numbers.
We arrive at the fishing port of St.Agios Garalombos, where we again take the necessary pictures. We leave the coastal road and Mehmet wants us also take into the mountains.
Maronia Village
It is a beautiful area, and there are many walkers and cyclist. Mehmet tells that this area is popular for sports. However, I am pleased that we are in the car where it is comfortable.

We stop at restaurant Nimfeia, the view is breathtaking and we enjoy it all. The restaurant has a large  and beautiful terrace, the weather does not allow to sit here, so we find a place inside.
On our way back, Mehmet shows us the outskirts of Komotini, it is better not to stop and we simply drive through the neighborhood.
After an exciting afternoon it's time for siesta.
Mehmet, Achmed and I are ready to go into town to see how vibrant  Komotini is.
We go to the Journey Rockbar, a cozy pub with a good choice of music. We sit at the bar and drink a few beers. We have a great time and left the bar at almost 01.00am. On the way home we eat a boujatsa.
Me with Achmed (nephew mehmet)
This is a roll of puff pastry filled with cheese, meat or cream and cinnamon. Healthy, no ! but it was goooooood.  A nice end of a great day.

JP-NED says:
Thanks , i know my English is not that good, but you understand it!
Posted on: Oct 30, 2009
Dea1 says:
what a lovely place!!! Dea :D
Posted on: Oct 22, 2009
dieforu says:
thanks file mou..u said it so nice;-)..u know what i mean:-)
Posted on: Oct 21, 2009
Jan (I) and Achmed!
Jan (I) and Achmed!
Mehmet with me!
Mehmet with me!
view from restaurant Nimfeia!
view from restaurant Nimfeia!
Komotini