There ain't no damn fish in Utah!

Hurricane Travel Blog

At Barista Diner! =)
We woke up super late today to a perky Sal who was already showered, dressed and ready to go. My eyelids were still stuck together and RJ reburied himself in pillows for a few seconds. How was it almost 10am already!? Dammit, we missed our early morning schedule to go fishing, and we still hadn't found a place to fish yet!

Sal pulled out some superpower tricks and found a nearby lake and we headed back to the diner we found yesterday for some brekkie. We met some nice people from St. George and they recommended a different nearby lake across from where we were headed. They claimed it was much more beautiful so we tried that first. Strike 1 - $10 to get in! =( but wow it was pretty... like an orange sahara dessert with a mirage-like lake in the distance.
RJ and Sal are clearly insane
We grabbed our fishing gear, braved the heat and direct sun as best we could and headed toward the water... ONLY TO BE ATTACKED BY THOUSANDS OF FLIES!!! YUCK! The lake was man made, which means it was fairly stagnant and we should have been clued in by its relative emptiness that this was not a place one could fish. I'm just glad none of those nasty little bugs flew into my eyes but we were completely swarmed! We braved them for about 5 minutes - just long enough to get some crazy pictures and ran like bats out of hell.

We crossed the street to Sal's original destination and it is MUCH MUCH BETTER. No flies, the sun was a bit less scorching, and the water was moving. Thanks Grandfather Lake or whatever you're called! We approach a sandbar like thing to prepare the fishing stuff and RJ IS ATTACKED BY DUCKS AND GEESE! Holy cow, one of them with a black face was just vicious! I got into a mean yelling match with it and it finally went away.
they're headed STRAIGHT for RJ!
RJ and I got our fishing rod tangled like 20 times and Sal spent a better part of an hour untangling and fixing it. Hahaa! But we managed to fish for about 45 minutes without injuring anyone! - score! and then we gave up and dreamt of sushi.

We stopped by a cider-selling market to find the most DELICOUS cider ever and bought a couple of non-Mennonite apples that just weren't as good. =( I pondered life in Utah out the window and thought an organic, simple lifestyle might not be so bad for little bits of time. I think once you see lots and lots of the world.. of course people have different reactions, but I guess mine lends to simplicity and peacefulness. It's been nearly 4 months and I'm still craving that: Healthy, untoxic food, a bit of nature, genuine smiles, and some raucous laughter.
RJ82 says:
awesome story jenn! cant wait to see you in seattle!
Posted on: Oct 19, 2009
RJ and Sal are clearly insane
theyre headed STRAIGHT for RJ!
they're headed STRAIGHT for RJ!
the handsome fishermen!!
the handsome fishermen!!
dont be fooled there are a zillio…
don't be fooled there are a zilli…
Grandfather Lake