Inside Pai

Mae Hong Son Travel Blog

This is not VIP bus from bkk but it's a bus from cheingmai to pai :)

From bangkok to Pai

By VIP bus 24 seats, bangkok-Cheingmai then by bus or van to Pai. I chose van, 3 hours from here.

Have you ever heard of  curving road in Maehongsorn? Ahh,you should take sleeping pills before go there.
The road is like an "S" not only one "S" but "SSSSSSSSSS" along the way. Half way was like half day. I tried to open my eyes to look at the view but I didn't sleep for 2 nights so .... i slept (again).
Woke up when my head hit my friend's head .... and yeah we're here. Pai!!!! Woo Woo..

Motorcycles and bicycles are favorite vehicles in these small town. We rent two motorcycles then looked for a place to stay. After cheked out from 3-4 places , we decided to stay at Ban Tawan. Nice questhouse near Ping river.

My dearest driver, Laila.
 300 baht per night per room.  At first we paid for only one night to look for another place on the next days but it became an only place that we stayed. Bathroom inside with warm water :) But i don't care much cos if they don't have it, i can live without bathing anyway :)

After unpacked our stuffs, had lunch!! People suggested Nong Beer restaurant. It's around the corner of Pai crossroad. "Kao soi" (northern noodle with beef/chicken or pork) was very delicious. I had two with beef!! Then we rode around the market and went out of town to visit nice places in Pai.

And we went to Pai Hot spring. It's a wonderful natural hot spring and it is a major public service for thai and foriegners for a bath or a long soak (with clothes on) :). It's Thailand so customs in hot spring is quite different than somewhere else.

Hot Springs
 Local people who bathe in this hot springs always keep themselves covered with clothes or thai skirt (a simple skirt somewhat like a tube skirt / sarong).  If you want to do local thai spa, just only bring one blanket and sit next to the pool!  It works!! :D The Others hot pools can make an boiled eggs, the temperature is  about 80 celcious!!

After have been riding around town we looked for coffee shop to relax. There has a lot of coffee shops for coffee lover. (Thanks god no starbuck yet!!)  I don't drink coffee but there has tasty cold chocolate too.
Along the way to the market has one nice place, Phu Pai coffee shop, open room with good coffee and high speed internet.

Another one is Cafe de doi, it's up on the hill.

All About Coffee
 You can see nice view from there. I saw buffalo!!! Nice? haha. But i don't thing their drink is taste good but well, you should try it by yourself. We came back to town and chose All about coffee.  Nice cafe which doesn't look like cafe. Confused? Wooden uniquely styled, decorated with many paintings for sell. Open : early morning - 4 to 5 pm, Try binoffee, ice coffee,  ice chocolate, lemon tea.

The opposite side has two nice shops "Pai Sabaidee" and "Mit Thai" which sell suviniors made by Thai people who have talented in Art. T-Shirt, postcards, paintings, cups, ashtrays and more stuff. You will be enjoy with this, i bet. Then went to the bars after window shopping :) First night we was at Thai bar, Ban Ran Bar.  Four Thai owners, great cocktails.

Mit Thai
I'm not cocktail fan but my friend is so i had a lot of singha beer instead, my favourite drink :) One of the owner has a talent as a fortune teller so i let him forecasted me. After i came back from Pai, all he said what happened!!! Wow.

We went there for two nights then the owners asked us to have some more drink at his place but my two boy  friends said no cos they're not in the mood hahaha, ok ok,  so we had to go home. Riding motorcycle at 2am was so cruel. It was very cold so we had to ride slowly but i love this moment. I love the weather here. It's lovely.

Next day we went to Mellow Yellow, the owner was an english guy. We sat there from 7pm till it closed, no one joins us. We were the first group and the only group who was there. It's far from the center of Pai so not too many people go there.

Bebop
He said he'll sell this place to someone who wants soon. He did it for 3 years and it's enough. (now the owner has changed, this guy went back to england already. Same as the first bar we went to, sold. I wondered is it because of us? haha, all we went were closed now)

Another nice bar is Be-bop. A friend at Mellow Yellow told us to go there. Is it a must for travellers? If you like live blues, jazz and reggae music, i think so. Enjoy good music, relax or make new friends.
(We haven't had new friend but relax and enjoy)  :D

Thanks for all 3 friends, Laila, uncle Aoz and brother Tob. After came back from Pai, we were better.  Pai can help us from those nightmares, indeed!!!

Note :

There are many many more places are waiting for you to visit, for more information about Pai you can find it in this link  http://www.paipost.com/

Enjoy and have fun!! :)

newtampo says:
Thank you, gotta be another good memory for you. Go for it before it's change. :)
Posted on: Jul 11, 2007
aleksflower says:
in my next trip to thailand surely i'll follow uur plan! very nice
Posted on: Jul 10, 2007
siamesekiwi says:
I will surely go to wherever you recommended!
Posted on: May 15, 2007
This is not VIP bus from bkk but i…
This is not VIP bus from bkk but …
Thai Bar
Its hot water
It's hot water
In the Hot Springs
In the Hot Springs
I dont know why did i do that?
I don't know why did i do that?
:D
:D
Hot spring, were boiling eggs!!
Hot spring, we're boiling eggs!!
All about coffee, uncle aoz, broth…
All about coffee, uncle aoz, brot…
Bebop cafe
Ban Ran Bar
Ban Ran Bar
Inside Mellow Yellow
Inside Mellow Yellow
Pai Sabaidee, i like the desk.
Pai Sabaidee, i like the desk.
Mit THai