AsiaMaldivesMale

First day Feeling Stranded

Male Travel Blog

walking to the jetty to catch the boat

I woke up early looking forward for the day ahead of me. I was supposed to be in India had my initial plan materialised, however, I guess it remained a plan for now.  I was getting ready for my travel, unfortunately not for a holiday but to a meeting in the capital that I dont even have a clue on whats it about.  I was just given a day notice that I have to be there and attend.  Being in the Maldives only days to be one year, nothing like this is surprising anymore and oh by the way, you have to be open minded and ready for a quick answer when a very strange question hits your direction or sometimes it is best to have a ready smile and a puzzled look and a little more than stupid question to throw back.

Anyway, just 8am, I was planning to grab a coffee, got a call to inform me that my boat transfer will be at 9am instead of 9.

may sunset
30am.  So, I hurried to get ready, I am usually good at time management and now I am 30 mins short.  So, I decided to drop the coffee.  I went to my office quickly and checked my email. This is something similar to waking up on the same day here. Cant seem to survive the day without it, specially when I have to go for an unexpected meeting. Clueless! At 5 mins to 9am, I started walking towards the jetty where I will hop into a boat, as usual I was the only person when I reached there.  In the Maldives, you always have to take your chances, when they say 9am, sometimes its 9.30am or at worst 8.30am.. and the boat has left...then you have to muse and wonder when you get lucky for another chance to have a boat.
may sunset
 So, you may wait for a while or longer than you can imagine, things are never on time.  Its a bit windy, but the view is still beautiful.  I took a picture of the jetty from my phone when I was walking, while looking at it, for a moment I didnt feel like I am stranded, if only I dont have to work here or even for just today...hmmm...Anyway, I was missing my coffee.

The boat ride was quick, the weather great, although a bit humid and plus I was on full gear formal attire as I am meeting with some government ministry. Can't compromise the representation of my company.  Anyway, went to the meeting, surprisingly, my companion and I were welcomed warmly, we were lead to a conference room and told the meeting will commence shortly.

the sunset in may
  We looked at each other and we were impressed with how they have handled us so far.  Cafe latte was serve and by the way was really good..so, I didnt missed the coffee afterall.  The meeting was quick and positive, it gave me a different definition of meetings in the Maldives.  Felt like I was somewhere else to be honest.

It was almost 12noon when I found myself on the road thinking it wasnt as bad as I thought it would be.  Although, I must admit I would rather be in India today.  this mindset is dragging my mood since the week begins..have more days to come..so expecting it to be worse.  At 30 mins past 12, I am already fed up with the humidity that Male was offering.

Male sunset
  Luckily my boat pick up came on time as promised.  Hmmm.. so I happily hopped into the boat.  The ride back to the resort was smooth and quick, like flicking through a slide show rapidly, didnt realised I reached.

The afternoon went so quick, perhaps when you have so many things on your head as well as papers on your table, time slips away and you dont even realise it.  A couple of meetings in the afternoon and its the whole day gone. Sometimes I feel that they pay me to go for meetings over here.  Hehehe.. 5pm and I have to catch another boat, being invited to another resort for a meeting, although its an informal chit chat for networking, it could be fun. Walking thru our jetty for the second time during this day...hmmm..what a view..the sun is ready to set anytime soon. When I reached Male again...I took some shots from my phone, I felt bad though I didnt bring my camera. I was staring at the sunset,  thinking damn - this is a beautiful scene, why the hell am I still feeling standed?

rayray says:
Awesome pics :-D
Posted on: Jul 14, 2007
jenyenh says:
Gemunu..Im in south male atoll...15 mins from the airport..
Posted on: Jul 03, 2007
gemunu says:

Ki-hi-ne
Your pictures of sunsets refreshed my memories of 2- years I spend in Male. The Island in construction looks good! in which atoll r u in?
Cheers, Gemunu
Posted on: Jun 22, 2007
walking to the jetty to catch the …
walking to the jetty to catch the…
afternoon sunset