AsiaVietnamHue

Tombs and Citadel

Hue Travel Blog

Tomb of Tu Duc

Today I toured the city of Hue - mostly tombs of the kings and the imperial city - Hue had been the imperial capital of the Nguyen dynasty from 1802 to 1945.

I was picked up from the hotel at about 8.00 am - from there we spent another half an hour or so driving the streets and collecting other passengers before heading on our way.

First stop was a small shop where we were given demonstration of how incense sticks and straw conical hats are made. As soon as these were finished the focus quickly shifted to trying to sell us these and a range of other souvenirs.

The first tomb we visited was the tomb of Tu Duc - emperor from 1847 to 1883. This was quite a scenic site with a lake containing a number of small islands. His palace is also within the grounds - it was turned into a temple following his death.

Tomb of Tu Duc

Next stop was the tomb of Minh Mang - Emperor from 1820 to 1841. Not quite as impressive as the first one and the layout was very similar.

The final tomb visited was the tomb of Khai Dinh who ruled from 1946 to 1925. This one was on a mountain side and apparently there are 120 steps to get to the top. Seeing I'd already seen 2 temples and we were getting charged an entrance fee to each temple I decided to sit this one out along with another Australian couple.

We then returned to a cafe in the city where we were given a buffet style lunch.

Following lunch we went to the citadel which occupies a large, walled area on the north side of the river. We spent an hour or so looking a a number of buildings within this complex.

We then stopped at a small shop where we were given green tea and some various cake or sweet type things. The shop sold these and they seemed to be popular with some of the Asians on the trip. From here we made a quick stop at a garden house where the princess used to host people for tea (I think - I've found many of the tour guides very difficult to understand).

Final stop for the day was the Thien Mu Pagoda - from which we got on dragon boats and cruised down the Perfume River. The cruise was pretty unexciting - you sat in a small plastic chair which we would use for children back home. I was worried mine would break and of course it stuck to me when I got up.

Tomb of Khai Dinh