Temples!

Siem Reap Travel Blog

Ankor Wat

With no rain in sight we headed to the temples just after 8 in the morning.

After getting my $20 1 day pass at the office the first stop was Ankor Wat. About half way along the entrance this young fellow started walking with me - telling me he was a student - studying to be a guide - and giving me the detail and history of everything along the way. Trying to ignore him didn't work - he just wouldn't go away and I knew he was going to want dollars for this. I told him that I had a lot to see in a short time and couldn't sit out a full commentary - this still didn't get rid of him. Sure enough a bit further down the track he tells me he has to pay the tourist police so he can get on the site and asks for money - I give him a small amount which he said wasn't enough and I just kept walking - it wasn't like I'd asked him to do it.

Ankor Wat

Spent a while at Ankor Wat - there is really a lot to see. I was also quite amazed with the teams of people cutting the lawns around the temple.

At one section of the temple you come across a monk who asks for money for the monks - again I gave a small amount but he wanted $10 saying there were 60 odd monks living there - don't know how many people actually give him this much.

Had trouble finding Rithy when I got back to the car park - found another tuk tuk with the Bou Savvy Guesthouse sign and that driver took me round to Rithy - curled up in the tuk tuk having a nap - no wonder I couldn't see him.

Afte Ankor Wat we travelled some distance to Banteay Srei. Like the previous day it was interesting to travel through the contryside.

On the way back from here Rithy had a flat on the front of his motorbike.

Ankor Wat
There are houses pretty well continuously along the road so he asked the people at the one beside where we'd pulled up where to get it fixed. He turned the bike and tuk tuk around and I thought we were going to have to push it back to the last town we'd come to but turned out we were only going back to the previous home on the road. The man, his wife and children all came out - the wife carried plastic chairs for Rithy and myself to sit on while the tyre was repaired. After about half an hour the tube was patched and we were on our way again.

Next stop was Tha Prohm - the tomb raider temple - there was a lot of restoration work going on here although as an American lady I met as I was going out said it was looking more like they were building a temple rather than restoring - I could agree with this to some extent so not sure about this side of things.

Ankor Wat
They had recemented all the ballistrades on the entrance where they were working.

Rithy had dropped me on the east entrance and said to meet him at the west entrance - came out and he was having lunch in one of the restaurants. I just grabbed an ice cream from one of the vendors.

Next stop was Bayon which was another impressive large temple. From here you do a circuit of a number of temples and come out at the elephant terrace. Unfortunately there are no signs or anything to direct you so I'm not sure if I say everything within this complex or not. I'd watched Rithy park the tuk tuk as I went into Bayon so I knew exactly where to find him this time, and I was able to sneak up and bang the back of the tuk tuk to wake him up again.

Rithy had told me that he'd lived with a monk for 2 years (I think) to learn english so that he could become a tuk tuk driver.

Ankor Wat
From what I can gather his relatives own the guest house and the motorbike and tuk tuk. He works at the guest house when not driving and gets to sleep on the floor in their quarters. If I've got it right he has to pay them to hire the bike and tuk tuk. He told me later in the afternoon that he is studying spanish at night - giving more reason as to why he needed to catch up on sleep. By doing this he hopes to become a tour guide in the future. I'd strongly recommend his services to anyone travelling to Siem Reap and he has a website as follows which was set up for him by another Australian who met him as a driver - http://rithystuktuk.weebly.com/. He said to me that he doesn't get any bookings from his website and I tried to explain to him that I wouldn't think many people would really search the internet to find a tuk tuk driver.

Lawnmowing