Siem Reap - Floating Village, War Museum, Aspara Dancing

Siem Reap Travel Blog

 › entry 6 of 35 › view all entries

Arrived in Siem Reap just after 7.00am - time zone changed another hour from Singapore. Managed to get through filling in all the paperwork and getting the visa for entry. Took well over half an hour to get through all this.

I'd booked a guest house in advance to have a free pickup from the airport. My tuktuk driver, Rithy, was waiting for me at the exit - it was just beginning to rain and we made a dash for the tuktuk. Rithy got drenched puting some of the plastic sides on the tuk tuk down before he put a raincoat on himself. On the way to town it absolutely pissed down and I still got half drenched even with all the sides down. When we got to the guest house the owner said to go to the room and fix up the registration when it stopped raining.

I was starting to think that I was going to score bad weather for the whole time as it didn't look like letting up.

Got dry and had a bit of a rest in the room and after a couple of hours the weather cleared. I went outside and found Rithy and sat down with him to organise a trip to the temples for the next day, and arranged to go to the floating village that afternoon. The roads in town were full of potholes from the recent floods. I felt much happier here than I did in Singapore - I felt that I was actually getting to see and experience a different world to that at home.

At the lake Rithy sent me to buy the ticket for the boat trip - I paid $20 for this and have no idea whether this was the right price - ended up in a boat by myself with Rithy, and the two young guys driving the boat - I would expect to pay a lot more than $20 for this at home so felt the price was acceptable.

Rithy was able to point out the things of interest along the way and give me the details about the villages. On the way back we stopped off at a tourist shop/display. There were two little girls there trying to sell me a snake for a $. On board this they had displays of the various types of fish that lived in the lake. At one spot they had some large snakes in a container and Rithy was bending over this looking - I gave him a gentle push in the back and he jumped about 10 ft in the air - He doesn't like skakes!! We got back to the boat and the little girls were still there with their snake for sale. Rithy was sitting and the side where they were floating in their metal dishes and wanted to swap sides with me.

After this Rithy suggested I go to the War Museum - cost to get in $3 - quite interesting - large display of rusting war equipment, ammunition, guns, mines etc.

From here I got Rithy to drop me in town and took a stroll through the markets. First experience of the continual 'tuk-tuk sir' that you get in the streets of Cambodia. I ended up buying some shirts and a pair of shorts - the change room to try on the shorts was to simply walk behind the counter of the stall - don't really thing it was any more private there than it would have been just to drop the shorts on the other side.

Rithy had suggested that I go to a restaurant with an Aspara dancing display that night. Was a very large buffet - much seafood which I don't eat but still plenty of other food to choose from. The dancing was quite interesting to watch - I think the meal and the show only cost about $13. After this Rithy was waiting to take me back to the guesthouse for some well needed sleep.

Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
Sir - you buy snake for a dollar??
Sir - you buy snake for a dollar??
The streets in town were a mess fr…
The streets in town were a mess f…
Siem Reap
photo by: genetravelling