Moving on to Hanoi

Hanoi Travel Blog

Got up and packed my stuff to get picked up at 7.30 to go to the airport.

Fly Vietnam Airlines - plane was probably half empty. For some reason I'd been allocated a seat near the emergency exit again so had plenty of leg room, as well as having all 3 seats to myself.

Arrived in Hanoi at 10.05 as scheduled. Went to the taxi rank where a woman put me in a cab saying that the cost would be $16US (about 275000 dong. Sure enough got to the drop off point and he wanted 350000 (I think - very had to understand) - I had given him 30000 and refused to give him more saying that it was only $16 - he said I got cheap trip and wouldn't give change. Visibility here is bad - guessing this is pollution and the worst I have seen so far. We did travel through some industrial estates - large factories for companies like Cannon, Panasonic, and Yamaha.

Went and checked into a hotel - tried to get internet access via cable in the room but could not get it to work - after telling the woman at the desk this I ended up trying to get connected in another 2 rooms without any great success - ended up leaving and moving up the street - still having the same problems here so I don't know what the problem is with my laptop - can get connection but then drops out after a minute or two. The room here has it's own computer so I've had to resort to using it.

I've booked a day trip to Ninh Bihn (Tam Loc) for tomorrow and booked an overnight trip to Halong Bay for the following day. Cost is $65 US - supposed to be middle of the range with an airconditioned room (shared) and only about 18 people on the boat so will see how it goes. I asked and found out that I can also get the bus ticket to Guilin here at the hotel so I probably won't need to go hunting for that either.

Ventured out on the streets here to get lunch and dinner and got hopelessly lost both times - very hard place to find your way around - I even had the hotel's business card with a map on the back tonight but I was probably roaming the streets for half an hour or more before I could find any of the street names on the map.

photo by: mario26