AsiaVietnamHue

Most annoying bikes and cyclos

Hue Travel Blog

Danang

Woke up this morning feeling a bit sluggish after the late night before. Turned on my laptop and began to panic when I saw the time was just after 12.00pm - seeing I was supposed to be checked out at midday. After a few minutes I realised that local time was three hours behind so I still had nearly three hours to pack and get my gear out.

I went down the street to find some batteries for the camera - not sure whether it was just that I wasn't feeling 100% but the heat and humidity were killers - wasn't cloudy today like it had been yesterday.

Packed up and checked out - had two hours to wait for the bus to Hue. Lunched at the hotel restaurant because it was too hot to go anywhere else. Cedric was up and heading off the the beach when I was at the counter checking out and Jamie emerged about an hour later - he was heading off to pick up shoes he had ordered and have his first fitting for a suit.

Danang

The bus arrived at about 1.45 - only a small older style of bus so I thought this was just a pickup to drop us at another bus - Wrong - this was the bus for the trip to Hue. I'd booked a hotel in Hue and arranged to be picked up from the bus - some concern as the when I asked the reception here for the name of the bus company to give to the Hue hotel I thought they'd said 'Treking' - there was nothing like that name on this bus.

We travelled through Danang and then through a long tunnel through the mountains before arriving in Hue just before 6.00pm. In Danang there were about 3 large ships that were beached up on the sand beside the road - not sure if theis was on purpose or had been a result of the typhoon. A large crowd were gathered around 1 of these as a tug was trying to pull it back out to water.

Ship on Beach - Danang
Got off the bus and there were motor bike and cyclo guys there trying to get you to use them to take you to a hotel surrounding the bus. They hardly left room for you to get your bags out from the luggage compartment and just crowded in on top of you - refusing to take no for an answer - by far the most aggressive I've seen along the way. I kept telling them that I had a pick up arranged but still couldn't get rid of them. By this time I was pretty sure that I was not at the same bus stop that the hotel was expecting me to arrive at and started walking towards the road to get a taxi - again surrounded by these guys and had some heated words.

Didn't take long to get a cab and it only cost about $1 to the hotel - when I got there she said that the person had gone to pick me up but couldn't find me - I said that I had probably came in at a different bus station.

After settling in went out to find somewhere to eat - again had problems with cyclo guys that just wouldnt go away. Ended up eating at Missy Roos and did so for the 3 nights I stayed in Hue - food was good, well priced and the staff friendly.

Going into the hills