Hanging about waiting for a plane

Ho Chi Minh City Travel Blog

Park near hotel

I'd booked a flight to Danang with Jetstar the previous day - flight was due to depart at 1.55pm. Shortly after booking I got an email from Jetstar saying the flight had been delayed to 3.30pm - not to bad as the flight is just over an hour so would still get to Danang in daylight and then find my way to Hoi An.

About 4 hours later another email arrives to tell me the flight has now been delayed to 10pm - booked a hotel online and organised for them to pick me up and take me to Hoi An for $17US.

Next problem was figuring out what I was going to do to fill in the day as I'd only planned on having a couple of hours free originally. Went for a walk in the park not far from the hotel. Got accosted by a Malaysian guy - his sister is coming to Melbourne to work in November and is worried about what to expect in Australia.

Church near hotel
Anyway ended up in a cab and off to meet the sister - she is a nurse and speaks very good english so I told her that I couldn't really see her having any big problems and that I would expect that the hospital will look after her anyway - she would be staying in quarters there from what I could gather.

I met her at their uncle's - he's a croupier on a cruise ship here - married a vietnamese so has lived here for many years. Anyway his wife apparently built an orphanage her and he wanted me to help them get some money for the orphanage. He told me that his boss has instructed them to let some of the white people to win big once in a while - that way they go back and tell their friends about their win and encourages more to try their luck. Plan was that I would meet the cruise ship in one of the ports up the coast and go in with the niece pretending to be my wife - that way it wouldn't look like I was connected to him - gamble at his table and he would then let me win big! Sounded a bit dodgy so talked my way out of that one.
Park near hotel

Went back to the hotel as I had to check out the room by 12.00. Spent the rest of the afternoon just wandering around and found the markets down the road - everything is so cheap it's hard not to keep buying stuff.

Had a quick KFC meal for dinner and got the hotel to order a taxi to go to the airport. Thought I might as well sit out there. Went to the Jetstar counter and asked if the flight was still leaving a 10 - couldn't get much sense but I thought she said to check in after 7.30 - did this and went through to the departure lounge. I just happened to look at my ticket and read that the departure time was 8.30. Turned out that I was on a different flight. Had a guy from Adelaide sitting in the seats opposite me - he'd had the same experience.
Park near hotel
I would have thought they would have said something when you checked in.

Decided that they shouldn't let the locals fly. We start taxi-ing out to the runway and the guy sitting beside me has his phone ring (or message) - the hostess was right there and give him a death stare. He eventually turned it off and she walked off. Next thing he turns it on again - I told him to turn it off but got no response - then like threated to smash it or him but still got no response - he eventually turned it off just before we took off. Meanwhile one of the guys opposite where the fellow from Adelaide was sitting has the little table tray down and leaning on it during take off. Virtually the minute the tyres hit the ground that guy was on his phone calling someone - you could just hear phones starting up all over the plane.

Luckily the guy from the hotel who was picking me up was already there as he'd dropped someone off earlier - it was just a hassle getting the woman at the Jetstar desk to ring the hotel to let them know I was there early. Jamie (Adelaide guy) came back to the hotel with me and checked into a dorm room there.

Hotel was relatively fancy for $17US a night - had a swimming pool and all. It was bucketing down when we got to the hotel. Noticed about an hour after getting there that water was dripping from the ceiling - was just hitting the bottom corner of the bed so I just pushed the bed over a bit and figured I get onto them in the morning as everything in the hotel was shut.
Park near hotel
Rice shop - didnt know you could …
Rice shop - didn't know you could…
Fruit sellers in street