Changi Museum & The River Front

Singapore Travel Blog

Changi Quilt

Caught the train and bus to go to the Changi Museum. The exhibition is excellent but I thought it was a pity that this is all by itself away from other attractions in the city, especially when it has already been moved from its original location.

With map in hand I headed back to the city and this time found the riverfront. Bought a ticket for a 30 minute cruise along the river for $13. This was well worth the money and an easy way to see the sights in the area.

After the cruise I spent some time walking around the riverside and crossing some of the many bridges. There are some really nice old buidings in this area - in between the multitude of shopping centres.

Decided to be game and buy dinner from one of the eating houses near the hostel.

Changi Mural
I asked for some barbecued pork thingy's and the guy asked me if I wanted this other pattie shaped thing - I asked him what it was and he said steamed pork and seemed insistent that I have it. Just as well he did because the barbecued ones I'd asked for were little pieces of rib so mostly bone, and the steamed pork was actually very nice. I think it only cost around $3 for these with rice.

Heaps of people came into the hostel that night. The manager booked a cab to pick me up at 3.30am to get me to the airport. I decided it would be safest to sit up and wait - even though I probably wouldn't have slept anyway. A couple of guys who'd come in from the UK and a guy from Burma were sitting around in the lounge and we were chatting but the hostel manager chased them off to bed at about midnight. I sat around and had a shower at about 2.45am and just after 3.00 heard the taxi arrive downstairs - so on my way with heaps of time to make the plane.

Pieces from the Death Railway