two years later there it is sitting in the back of the closet unopened...

Georgia Travel Blog

The tent

Car Camping can seem like fake camping but when you are on an adventure to a new camp ground every turn can give you a hint of what Columbus felt when discovering the new world.

When we decided to go camping last minute I quickly pulled out my trusty swiss army google to search the best tent camping in Georgia. How else is a city girl suppose to discover the undiscovered.  DeSoto Falls was the place to be and we were going.

We headed north from our home base Atlanta, Ga early morning to give us plenty of time to forge rivers and climb mountains to our destination of DeSoto Falls. I packed blankets because I get cold even during a heat wave, clothes for the next day and a first aid kit (which included toilet paper and insect repellant).

Entrance
If we broke a leg I was going to create a two ply bug net to protect myself while I comfortably waited for help. The last thing to to put in the trusty Extera was the tent. You see the tent was the main reason we were going camping. You a buy a tent with the dream of being the type of person who goes on the road and roughs it with the best of them, but two years later there it is sitting in the back of the closet unopened. It is a constant reminder of the exciting adventures you don't go on as you pull on your winter coat to go work every morning. So this was it. I was going camping.

We had read reviews for the area and knew the address given for DeSoto Falls Camping Site would fail us if we were using a GPS or mapquest. So we would have to rely on the north star or ask someone.

Bath time
  Two high ways and two stops later we knew we were on track when we made it to Dahlonega, GA. The historic town known as the site of the first major gold Rush in the USA. It was suppose to be about 18 miles south of the x on our trusty treasure map. But we were not here in search of gold. We were in search of provisions for an overnight camping trip.  After stopping at the conveniently located Walmart for the important camping supplies: hot dogs, marshmellows, camping chairs, lantern and spirits to keep us entertained we headed north.

Off we went 15 miles north till we hit Turner's Corner, the marker where we knew we needed to take a left.

Man vs Wild --- this one goes to Man
  Anticipating a campsite can be exciting and freightening simultaneously. We were ready to get out of the car after 2 hours but we didn't know exactly what to do after that. We had never done this before, what would the natives think of us?  Is it camping if you have an air mattress that pumps up using a pump you plug into your cars electricity portal? It better be.

We pulled into the DeSoto Falls entrance after taking several curvy turns and realized we were faced with something that never even occured to us. We did not have broken bridge or collapsed walking path to get through but a fully occupied campsite. NO VACANCIES. There wasn't a sign but we could feel it. All 24 sites of the best tent camping in GA were full. Full of happy people with happy kids cooking happy hots dogs staring at us as we drove through their camp site like kids who lost their parents.

Marshmellows for breakfast
We were invaders and they wanted us out there.

Luckily, Desoto Falls camp site has an onsite ranger who should be renamed as our back wood travel agent. He refered us to Boggs Creek Camp Site which was two miles away. His words echo in my head though when warns us, " it is a primitive site." Primitive? I wasn't looking to sleep in the dirt. Just a little land to set my tent and poke at a fire. I come to find out primitive means no running water or electricity. Isn't that was camping is all about? No wonder DeSoto Falls is the best ten camping in GA. You have the naturals beauty without any of the boredom or stink!

So off we went back down the mountain two miles and a took a sharp left down a steep raveen to find the what I now call the best tent camping site I have braved the wilderness in.  Boggs Creek a little piece of heaven. The woods are dense, the creek is flowing, the bugs are neighborly, and the porto potty smelled like roses.  The trail to drive in is long and the space between tent sites is plentiful.  We grabbed the second tent site open and paid our 8 dollar fee. I understand now why they have a maximum days limit. Who would leave at 8 dollars a day!!

After stacking our convenient store fire wood  bought at the Shell Station in Dalonega next the Home Depot, I left the man vs wild stuff to my companion and attempted to set up the tent.

Camping should really be called tending the fire. All you can ever want to do is sit around the fire and poke it. So thats how the night unfolded we poked the fire, we ate a hot dog, we drank a beer, we ate a hot dog, we poked the fire, we ate a marshmellow, we poked the fire, we drank a beer....

After a cold night, I think we need to buy sleeping bags. The few blankets I brought for my own comfort ended up being our life line as we held to each other tight in the chilly fall night. I come to find out that as I was holding my partner tight all night worried he would become annoyed, he was praying all night I would not let go.

I've rambled on enough about Boggs Creek but I had a such an amazing time. So if you don't need running water, electricity and have a tent I recommend Boggs Creek to everyone!

Bath time
Man vs Wild --- this one goes to M…
Man vs Wild --- this one goes to …