Across Ecuador and into Peru.

Ecuador Travel Blog

We left Ecuador by bus crossing the border into Peru. It was the prettiest drive – mountains to banana plantations to desert. We passed several volcanoes including Chimborazo (highest mountain in Ecuador at 6310m and is actually 2 volcanoes fused together) and Tungarahua.

We spent 3 nights and 2 days at the beach in Mancora. We could see dolphins and whales out to sea. Did lots of swimming, walking on the beach, playing cricket, playing baseball, playing volleyball and listening to my fellow travellers play guitar. We also made a couple of batches of punch and played some drinking games.

On Thursday we took the bus to Huanchaco, close to Trujillo. We took a guided tour of Chan Chan Ruins – the oldest mud city in the world. It was the home of the Chimu tribe. It is slowly being destroyed by El Nino. They have ramps rather than stairs. The walls used to be 14m high but they are now only about 4m high. We saw the reservoir, storage area for textiles, cemetery, gathering areas, sacred areas. The decorations on the walls were animals and fishing nets.

I am currently in Lima. Yesterday we went to a bull fight at the oldest stadium in Latin America - 1766. We watched 6 bull fights as we drank red wine. The matador was a 19 year old from Spain. He was very talented - he teased the bull while on his knees, he was a great strutter and hip wriggler and he never went behind the barriers. I liked it when the bull would attack the guy on the horse (he was wearing a metal armour). I was hoping that the bull would gouge somebody. The clowns could certainly run. I did not like it when it took a long time for the bull to die or the bull required multiple
stabbings.

Travel with www.greentoadbus.com to backpack South America the way you want to travel it.