As if we were alone in the world

Zirje Travel Blog

This morning Guenter and me are on duty for preparing breakfast. After breakfast the group goes to visit Krka National Park. From here the NP's boat takes visitors to the entrance, where they purchase the ticket (95 kuna). You can walk the park or take a boat tour, there are three different tours to choose. There's only one little bit of the river free for swimming, everywhere else it's prohibited. There's a picnic lawn and a place to buy food and drinks. During high season (July & August) it can get very crowded with waiting time up to 3 hours. As far as I understand only a certain number of visitors are allowed in the park, so that they wait for visitors to come out before letting new ones in. But today, in October, there's absolutely no crowd, and the crew returns after 3 hours.

I decide not to join them, I've seen it before. And I'm looking forward to just sit in a cafe, have a coffee and read the papers. But before that I go to the store getting some groceries and do some chords. Alfred has meanwhile put his famous Hefezopf into the oven - I just have to mention it! One of the best pastry I've ever had!!! (got the recipe, if anyone's interested ;)) While Alfred goes to take a shower, I go to the cafe. There's nothing like a slow day with a cup of coffee and the papers. Later the rest of the group joins me, informing me that Alfred has taken an involuntary dive into the river - he takes it with humour and is happy to be so clean today :)

We take off, and it's a warm cloudy day with no wind, so we have to start the engine.

I steer again, and am proud to say that I've taken the boat under Šibenik Bridge without hitching it. As we drive along, the Hefezopf gets eaten and, as the sun comes up, we all get in a better mood. After four hours of easy driving amongst the islands, enjoying the sun and fresh air, the murmur of the sea and spotting some dolphins, we arrive at Žirje island. We anchor in a little bay with only a couple of houses at the shore. They seem to be vacation-houses, since we find noone there. In the harbour several little fishing boats are tied up, and an old Yugo (ones the pride of the Yugoslav automobile industry) is parked on the quay. Or more precise - just left there since the keys are still in the ignition. The sun is going down, but that doesn't discourage my fellow sailors to jump into the cold sea for a swim.
no wind power today
I watch them from ashore and react like any local would: I shake my head about these crazy tourists, I mean, hey, it's late October, now really! And wish I would be as crazy as they are :)

As the sun sets, I realize we will be in this little bay all alone in the dark and silence. No street-light, no people, no traffic, no nothing. Just an endless sky full of stars and the murmur of the sea. As we prepare dinner, Alfred comes in and asks if anyone would like some fresh fish. A fishing boat has anchored at the quay, and we go out asking if they have some fresh catch. They do, and we buy two fish and get one for free. We pay with money and a chocolate bar. After a delicious meal we stay up late again, because we have all the time in the world.

Šibenik bridge