... home again, 'cross the sea, stormy waters

Zadar Travel Blog

the "Lucky"

In the morning, my morning wash-up gets interrupted - we're out on water. But, a local brings some in a tank, and we fill up every bottle we have in the boat. The weather forecast is again strong Jugo and rain. It is raining and we can hear thunder in the distance. After breakfast we set sails to the last stage of this trip. My intention was to stay downstairs, since Alfred said not all of us would be needed outside today, but I get that familiar dizzy feeling in my head, and before it moves on to my belly I better put on my outdoor clothes and go out. Outside it's raining, visibility is bad and all in all it's a pretty crappy day. The wind is perfect for sailing and the "Chianti" moves fast across the wavy sea. In the distance we see the "Lucky", we will meet again in Zadar tonight.

approaching Zadar
By the time we approach Zadar I'm soaking wet, finding out the hard way that my jacket isn't that waterproof after all. I go downstairs to change, and soon we enter Zadar harbour. We stop at the gas station, and anchor at the ACI Marina Zadar. While everyone is longing for a hot shower, me and Nicholas head out to the store. The day before I had called my dad to bring my car to the marina, and since he's the best dad in the world he not just brought me my car, he parked it almost right in front of our boat's berth. So, instead of having to walk to the nearest store in the rain, Nick and I drive to a well supplied supermaket. We return with cakes for afternoon coffee, and breakfast food.

It's so good to sit in the warm boat with steaming coffee and tea and cakes, dry and warm! We had planned to take a city sightseeing tour, but noone wants to go out in this weather.

me and Inge
Instead we sit and talk, and Gerhard, "Lucky"'s skipper, comes by to say goodbye. Soon we leave for dinner to the "San Antonio" nearby. This trip ends tomorrow, but I leave tonight since I have to be at a wedding tomorrow. But I return to the boat with the others to hang out a little longer (somehow I don't feel like leaving), and we talk and laugh, comment on the trip. Alfred hands out each one of us a Certificate saying how many sea miles we've traveled (160) and marking all the harbours we've been to. In addition I count 7 bruises and 1 indefinable scratch. Everyone is pleased with the trip, and us rookies know that this wasn't our last sailing trip.

And I just have to make a comment on the skipper: he's wonderful! At not any single moment I felt scared or uncertain, there wasn't a question he didn't answer nor did he ever make me feel stupid about asking. Thank you, Alfred!

Around midnight I leave, happy to have taken this chance of 'jumping over my own shadow' and do something I never knew I was able to. I've learned new things, met new friends and most of all "... I fought with a stranger and met myself ...".

And ... got a great recipe for Hefezopf :)

the Lucky
the "Lucky"
the ACI Marina Zadar
the ACI Marina Zadar
trying to dry my jacket with a hai…
trying to dry my jacket with a ha…
last dinner together
last dinner together
Zadar Hotels & Accommodations review
ACI Marina Zadar
Located almost in the middle of the city, it takes 15 minutes to walk to the old town, or much less if you take the Barkica, a unique Zadar-specific m… read entire review
Zadar