I am sailing, I am sailing ...

Drvenik Veli Travel Blog

setting forth

This morning the crew gets a small introduction into life on board. My personal first lesson: I need more space!!! Wherever I turn, whatever I do I hit something or someone. This results in constant "Sorry"s and double time for routine errands. But soon I learn another special thing about life on a sailing ship: we got all the time in the world. Skipper Alfred is very laid back, and during the trip there's no hustle and bustle, we sail if and where we want to sail and how long we want to. Also, thou strangers, we address each other with 2nd person singular and by first name, no mr. nor mrs. Life on board of a ship really does differ from the 'civilized' life on shore. People depend on each other here and everyone simply must be respectful with each other, but confident enough to share and receive constructive criticism.

Chords are equally distributed amongst everyone, the cleanness and safety of the ship is first. Regarding safety - we get a crash course in ship safety, get a life vest and lifeline, Alfred shows us how to use the radio, and how the ship has to be secured before we set sail. He shows us another important thing: the use of the toilet. A kinda awkward topic, but we're in an out-of-the-ordinary-situation and this is inevitable. Everyone needs the toilet :)

Finally, after putting away the breakfast dishes, closing all windows and valves we set forth!!! It's a sunny day with Bura (or Bora), a cold, northern wind that can be pretty tricky, it closes roads, overturns trucks, sinks ships and chills you to the bone. But today it's perfect. Out on the sea we set sails under Alfred's instruction.

the Chianti
The "Chianti" gets into a steady move, and I make myself comfortable at the front of the boat, having a fantastic view at the sea and the islands we pass. Croatia has 1185 islands, most of them being merely uninhabited rocks in the sea, the sea is of an indefinable blue/grey/dark colour. The rolling of the ship makes me doze off, I think I actually fell asleep. I love it!

Alfred offers tea and I join the others at the back of the boat. And make a mistake: shortly I climb down into the cabin. It's amazing, the rolling of the ship can be felt, like, three times stonger inside the ship than outside, making it difficult to stand. I'm proud to have taken the voyage well so far, but now I get dizzy and feel something happening inside my belly. No way! Oh, yes, the good times are over, and, after quickly establishing the direction of the wind, I lean over the fence.

Drvenik
Crap! I feel a hand holding me at my jacket, it's Helmut making sure I don't fall. Luckily, this embarissing episode doesn't last long. And I feel so much better now, really, you should try this yourself ;)

Back at the back of the boat, Alfred suggests I should take the helm. Wow, yes, I'm driving a boat!!! (note to my car: Baby, I still love ya). After 4 hours on sea, we enter the little harbour of Drvenik island. It's a small village, very quite. We take a little snack, and everyone goes for a stroll. I decide to stay and put away the dishes. I mean, if you know one little dalmatian village, you know them all. And I know many. My fellow travellers return bringing fresh herbs, and soon we start preparing dinner, after which we stay up long chatting and laughing.

Later in bed I conclude that this is one of the best travel choices I've ever made.

preparing dinner
preparing dinner
whats the colour ...
what's the colour ...
.... the colour of the sea?
.... the colour of the sea?
Drvenik Veli