The Krka river

Skradin Travel Blog

After breakfast Laura, Nicholas and me go to the village store to get muesli, rooibos tea and coke. We only get coke. Muesli and roiboos tea are too exotic for a little store on an island. Apparently Coca Cola you can get anywhere. What does this tell us? :)

Today it's cloudy and little wind. The plan is to get all the way to Šibenik, and then either visit the beautiful old town and stay there for the night, or make it further to Skradin, closer to the National Park Krka. But before we set off, I decide to take a pill against sea sickness. See how that works for me.

Out on the sea the wind weakens and soon we don't have a choice but close the sails and start the engine.

The sun is gone and it's chillier than yesterday. Another important lesson, very important: you just gotta have appropriate clothes. Since I don't, I chose the onion-fashion: several layers of clothes, starting with warm underwear, and completed with a woolen cap. Gloves are necessary accessory, and a scarf rounds it up nicely. Be careful to match the colours, of course. And as the days go by, one realizes that fashion is what one makes of it. Freedom! After a while it gets too cold, and I decide to go inside, trusting the pharmaceutical company to have done a good job. And it did, I feel great. Besides of some more bruises.

We arrive at Šibenik, it's still early so we decide to take it further to Skradin. Another 2 hours of easy driving across Prokljansko lake and into the Krka river.

In Skradin we anchor in the town harbour, it's cheaper than the marina, and we get everything we need, water and power supply and a public toilet. The reason why we use land bathrooms whenever possible, is that everything that goes through the boat's pipes lands in the sea. Everything. When you think of it, it's gross and absolutely not ecologic, quite the contrary. To me it's also not understandable that there are no hygene and sanitary products developed specifically to be used on ships. Obviously, the oceans will continue to be a huge dump yard for a long time. My fellow travellers agree, and we try to use as less detergents as possible.

Tonight we eat out, in a wonderful little restaurant called "Zlatne školjke" - 'Golden shells' (review is attached). It's warm inside and we all appreciate this very much. Later, back on the boat I decide to take a shower and wash my hair with my biologicaly decomposable shampoo. The shower is 1x1 meter. So is the bathroom. It takes, like, forever to complete this simple task.

Fortress before Šibenik
Fortress before Šibenik
on Prokljansko lake
on Prokljansko lake
Skradin Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
"Zlatne školjke" in Skradin, Croatia
Located second row from the lake promenade, this small restaurant is a gem. Decorated dalmatian style it's cosy and warm. The food is excellent, a lit… read entire review
photo by: vila