Melbourne, the markets and ShoPPing!

Melbourne Travel Blog

Crafts market
A banging headache and my mouth as dry as the sahara, we decided to take it easy.

We thought that a gentle walk along the south bank to the crafts market would be a good idea.  The sun was basking down on us and people were happy and smiling.  The crafts market was stuffed full of stalls all with very interesting goods.  Lots of handmade jewellry, lots of pictures, lots of leather goods, some food and all uniquely designed.  The prices ranged from pocket change right up into the big $$$$'s.  The stall holders all really friendly all willing to tell you about their passion for their craft.  The place was busy but not horribly so, much more manageable than oxford street.  The stalls extended upstairs outside the arts centre, where we found a photographer selling his photo prints as postcards.
Crafts market
  He used a technique called double exposure.  This meant that he could layer two shots over each other to create a whole new unique picture.  I chose one that was a shot of the city with a graffiti ninja overlooking the city.  He told us about Hosier lane, a street full of artistic graffiti.  He said it was worth going to see the artistic talents of the city.

From here we took the free tourist bus to Queen Victoria markets.  The market is big, full of a variety of goods.  Lots of touristy souvenirs that you see everywhere, also a selection of clothes, shoes, jewellry and household goods.  This place is catering for tourists but also locals that fancy picking up some bargains.  The sweetcorn vendor was my favourite, we got fresh sweetcorn on the cob with butter on a it, $4.
YUMMY!

Next stop Docklands, more shopping in the retail outlets.  The fashion here is not as fashionable as London and I did see anything which I felt compelled to buy.  Its good to stock up on basics as they were much cheaper here than London.  For a short person this is not the place to try and find jeans.  They do not cater for short people, they only had regular to tall cuts and the regular was like twice the length of me.   I think I expected more high end and luxury fashion shops but it turns out that most of them were just regular high street style stores.  Little disappointing.

As we had missed the last free bus we decided to catch the free bus to southern cross station.  From here we walked to Hosier lane to check out the graffiti that the artist had recommended.  We were not disappointed, there were lots of other people there with the same idea, enjoying the art and taking pictures of it.

Dinner in china town, a huge bowel of noodles for $10... beat that!  A drink in the oldest pub in Melbourne and we were ready to go.
Melbourne