The Last food day.

Sydney Travel Blog

Fish Market, tram station

The fish market is mentioned a few times by people that you meet in Sydney or that have travelled Sydney and therefore you feel as though you have to go there.  I decided to venture over there to sample some fresh sushi.  That was one thing I was totally craving.  From the hotel I walked around the block to Capitol sq and caught the tram towards …  Tickets can be purchased from the conductor and the cost for a return was $5.

Fresh seafood
70.  Everyone on the tram seemed to be headed in the same direction.  It didn’t take too long and it was total of about 4-5 stops.  The whole tram pretty much alighted at this point and all of us like sheep followed along the platform and headed for the exit marked “fish market.”  We all crossed the road and into the car park of the fish market.  I ditched the crowd as soon as I was in view of the market complex.  I was about to make a beeline towards sushi until I was distracted by the outside harbour area.  The sun was shining and the air was warm, the light glistened in the surface of the water.  It was nice to have a quick stroll along this area or have a leisurely lunch.  There is one thing you must watch out for is the killer seagulls and the awful pigeons.  They kept swooping past my head as if they were trying to catch me.  That is enough to put you off you food and also with the prospect of being defaecated on as well eewww.  I dashed inside of the market for shelter and was expecting the smell of fish to hit me in the noise but no matter how hard I sniffed I could not smell any pungent fish smell.
Sydney Fish Market
  This gave me some real confidence that fish are fresh fresh fresh and also the place is clean clean clean.  You see how I have to repeat three times to strength that fact.  I stopped at a sushi bar where there was a selection of boxed sushi in the glass counter.  On the other side of the counter there was also a selection of cooked or fried fish too.  My eyes wandered all over the fridge as other customers were crossing past me and browsing beside me.  I couldn’t resist but to pick up a huge platter, what looked like about 30 pieces.  A selection of nigiri and also some fresh salmon sashimi.  Once I picked it up I couldn’t let it go, I had to have it.  When paying for it the two ladies gasped and looked at me and then each other with wide eyes.  I had a grin and my chopsticks ready.  I parked myself up on the bar stool and tucked in.  Each mouthful, each piece was savoured.  I had a pot of green tea and plenty of pickles and ginger.
Outdoor dining
  This huge selection was a pretty big challenge as I slowly started to demolish the box.  Funnily enough I knew, I was fully aware of the challenge that I faced.  What made me laugh and then more determined was when two grown men walked in, picked up the same selection and then shared it.  Haha, who’s the winner now.  Funnily enough I finished the whole box and was not bursting at the seams as I had predicted.  In fact I actually still felt that I could eat some more. Haha!  Luckily when you are under one roof full of yummy fresh fish it means that you can walk over to another area of the food court and choose something else.

I had another little wonder around to see else was on offer and my nose was leading the way.  If I was an animated cartoon you would actually be able to see the wafts of smell drifting in the air and my feet literally not touching the ground.  The other foods on offer included fish and chips, a selection of fried stuff, grilled and poached.

On the river
  Also a selection of oysters.  I decided to go for something fried and had a soft shell crab hand roll followed by an oyster.

Now full and ready to fall into a food coma I decided to head back into central to do some shopping, that would perk me up.  I took the tram back to capitol square and headed up into Market city, I had a look around the shops but didn’t really feel inspired.  Although I found that basics were really cheap, I stocked up on cardigans and vests and things.  Next I headed towards Pitt street and market street and the general area where the tower is located.  I walked into Myer and spent about 2hrs browsing the rails but once again didn’t really feel inspired to buy anything.  Next I wanted to find jeans and what a mission that was.  Every shop I walked into the jeans were like twice as long as me and when I asked if they carried a petite range the answer was always no.

Cheese deli
  Basically they do not cater for short people.  These jeans are standard cut!  Just jeans offered an alteration service for the cost of $10 extra but free on Levi’s.  Seeing as this was my last day I asked for the jeans to be done by the end of the day, luckily for me they prioritised my order and I had a great pair of new jeans by the end of the day.  While I waited for them I headed to Hyde park and just lay in the sunshine for an hour.  Feeling the hot rays of the sun on my face felt so nice and everyone around me were all chilled out and reading or laying down.  I could have stayed here.

At 6pm I met up with Mimi, Abhi and Ruchi and we went back to Hyde park for the oriental food festival.  They had loads of stalls all set up cooking yummy food ranging from Singaporean, Malaysian, Chinese and Japanese food.  The place was packed out almost immediately.  All the smells of the food was amazing and all the tables were full.

Fresh Fresh fishy
  We had to hang around for a bit before we spotted an empty table, we pounced on it like vultures as did everyone else.  Luckily me being small and fast we bagged it.  Next we all went two by two for food, while the other two guarded the table.  Mimi and Abhi went first for a vegetarian selection.  They took as while as the queues were really starting to build up.  Next Ruchi and I went for a meat selection.  I chose a prawn style Singaporean noodles $10 and fried crab claws $5.  All very yummy and within the seafood theme that I had going on all day.  While tucking into my grub about three different people approached me to ask me where I got mine from and the cost.  I just told them to join the longest queue in the park.  I think the best thing about these events is that people get to see how the food is cooked and how fast it is done to retail the freshness of the ingredients and they get to see exactly what is going into their meal.  By the time I got back Mimi and Abhi had finished their meal and were ready for seconds.
Sushi time!
  Ruchi on the other hand was lost and in search for us for a good 10 mins before she made her way back to the table.  The sky was dark now and the park was lit with fairy lights and lamps.  The air was still warm and everyone was still in good spirits.

For dessert and drinks Mimi decided to show me the delights of the higher end of Sydney.  She took us all to the revolving bar for cocktails and desserts.  The place was on the 47th floor.  We had to wait for the lift for a while as not all the lifts reach that far up.  When we entered the lift it didn’t take us long to get to the top.  They seated us at a table right by the window so that we could enjoy the views of bright lights of Sydney.  We ordered so fancy cocktails and desserts to share, I couldn’t bare the thought of more food, my stomach had already been stretched to the limit.  The place had dim lighting, tables all around the window edge, some booth style seats towards the centre of the floor and the bar/restaurant area was in the middle.

Dive into the oysters
  It wasn’t very busy in there, maybe a hand full of table filled wit couples.  We stayed long enough to get the 360 degree rotation.  The billed totalled $100, not bad between the four of us.  I had to say my farewells to my three Sydneysider friends not knowing when we would see each other next.

Fish Market