Home time, first leg

Seoul Travel Blog

The double room

My airport shuttle bus was booked for 7am.  I got myself ready billed up and waited in the lobby.  The shuttle didn’t turn up toll 7.15am.  I was very annoyed about that as I get quite anxious about traffic and journey time and unexpected hazards that could cause me to miss my flight.  I was the second to last pick up, when I got on there were still two empty seats left.  The hotel was down the road about 5mins away.  The couple were waiting on the corner and jumped on really quickly.  Luckily the journey wasn’t too long, we arrived at the domestic terminal by 7.

The Sevilla Hotel
45am and another 5mins before the international terminal.  Check in was swift, customs and immigration painless and then security, they scanned my bags twice but then happily let me through.  I had a quick browse in duty free before looking for some breakfast.  After breakfast I still had $18 to burn and so I went to see what I could spend it on.  $8.95 for kangaroo jerky, $5.95 for tim tams, $1 for a pencil and $2 for a selection of postcards.

This time I decided to go for an aisle seat, I thought it would be more convenient for using the loo and access for walking up and down the aisle if my legs fell asleep.  Luckily the flight wasn’t too busy and our middle seat was empty, which meant we could spread out a little.  On arrival at Seoul Incheon airport all the transit passengers were confused about the stopover procedure.  We all followed the exit sign not really knowing where we were supposed to go.  Eventually after a long walk along the wide corridors we arrived at an Asian desk, located opposite the immigration exit.  The lady was very helpful, she checked all my documents and then issued me with an itinerary and a token for a hotel reservation.

Out in Seoul
  Once you clear immigration you are directed to another desk and it is here where they pile you onto a mini bus to the hotel.  The staff were very efficient and there were about three people serving per passenger.

On the mini bus I met a group of young travellers.  There were three Japanese guys, an Irish girl, a German girl and another English guy.  They were all very excited and enthusiastic.  I was tired and wanted my bed.  They tried desperately to communicate, which required a bit of charades.  The journey lasted about 15/20mins.

We arrived at the Sevilla hotel, no idea what district or where I was but I couldn't wait to dive into bed.  The reception is small only manned with two members of staff.  The receptionist registered me in, handed me the keys, dinner and breakfast tokens.  I was located on the 6th floor.  The lift very slow.  The doors to the rooms open outwards and the key a little awkward to use.  Big double room, huge soft bed with six fluffy pillows.  Flat screen TV, large.  Desk, sitting area, with tea and coffee and a mini fridge.  The bathroom spacious and modern.  Gadget style toilet with all the button options.  The restaurant was clean and spacious.  The free meal consisted of a creamy chicken soup to start, a choice of meat or seafood as a main and tea to finish off.

Out in Seoul
  The seafood option i chose was so spicy I almost burst into flames.  Mouth, broken, taste buds dead, lips red raw.  Not pretty.  After dinner to extinguish the flames I went for a walk along the main street of the hotel.  Popped into the little corner shop and stocked up on cold iced drinks.  I passed a restaurant that had a fish tank outside for customers to select their choice of fish.  The street was fairly quiet not much happening.

Decided not to venture too far alone and in the dark, so went back to the hotel to take advantage of the free room.

Bliss :-)