Tashigang, a town in a eastern valley

Tashigang Travel Blog

Trashigang is tucked into a valley with steep mountains that tower over the town, making the valley seem even narrower then it is. Finally we reached the bus stand and everyone started walking to there respective destinations. I booked my bus tickets for the next day to Sandrup Jhongkhar and started walking to the center of the town which has a large wheel prayer and 3 streets emanate out from there. There
are a few decent options for accommodation, but most of the houses and shops felt indistinguishable from each other, having row of wooden windows and similar roofs. There were few cars parked at the cramped space surrounding the prayer wheel with quite a few houses were in a circle. Although the general effect is that of a cramped town but delightful.

I stayed at Druk Denjung Hotel which was the best option as there are not many tourist class hotels inside the town and this one hosts foreigners. There are a few resorts being built, but they are like 1 km away from the town center. The owner of this place was extremely nice and helpful and informed that his daughter had studied in Bangalore-India. I immediately struck a cord with them as they came to know that I am also from Bangalore. We chatted for a long time about various topics. He also showed me the cracks that had developed in the hotel building during the earthquake and described in detail how it felt when the earthquake struck. Everything was shaking and stuffs we falling down from the walls, utensils, wall decorations. They had ran out of the houses and towards open space and looking at the cracks in the walls, one can get a feel of how scary it would have been during that time.
This hotel has a nice small garden restaurant to sit out and eat. It also had internet connection but was not working at that time. I tried to fix it, but seemed some problem with the  connections.
I walked out of the town, visited the dzong and later ventured out in the mountains. It was getting cold very fast and soon the sun disappeared in the clouds and before I knew it started raining. I ran back to the hotel and relaxed in the room for some time. Dinner time was again with the owner chatting for some more time. There was a group of foreign tourists which had come there for over night stay and were enjoying the dinner tasting the local delicacies. Night arrived very fast and soon all the lights were off, with the only sound of night insects and a few dogs barking. I woke up at night with the sound of heavy rainfalls, banging on the roof.

Tashigang