Crossing border into India. Guwahati, Siliguri, Calcutta and back to Bangalore

Darranga Travel Blog

A very early morning start at 5:30am as Bhutan is 30 min ahead of India time. Reached the border and found its still not opened yet. There were people waiting on both side of the border gate waiting for it to open. Had to wait for some time before it opened at 6:00am. Crossed the gate and walked to the India town of Darranga, a dusty haphazard town with lots of dogs and cows scavenging among heaps of garbage, diesel strains on the roads. I turn around to check out the Bhutan gate a last time and its brightly painted with dragons wrapping themselves up its concrete pillars, snaking there way past lotus flowers. I continue to walk towards the bus stand where its all chaos early in the morning.
The bus to Guwahati was ready with everyone boarding and it left sharp at 6:00am local time. What started as slow half filled bus soon turned out to be fully crowded as it started picking passenger all the way. Soon it was completely full with no space to even stand, but the the driver still kept stopping to pick some more. The bus was overflowing till we reached a small town named Rangia where some of them got down and there was some breathing space inside the bus. The bus journey till Guwahati took some 3 hours and soon I landed in the chaotic city of Guwahati. I just wanted to get out from there, reach Calcutta to catch my flight back to Bangalore. But as it turned out there are only 3
buses to Siliguri and all start in the evening. Trains were fully booed so I booked my bus tickets and it started raining. I got into a decent hotel to spend the day relaxing in the room. Evening got to the bus stand but there was no bus in sight. It seemed it was delayed and finally started some 2 hours late. It stopped at one place to pick up some luggage and after that did not stop anywhere. I came to know from the
locals that this is a tricky route with terrorists/naxal activities common on this road to Siliguri. I had heard on news in the afternoon, about some trouble in the town and police/army claming down on some groups. The bus ride went on without any incident and I reached Siliguri in the morning. Got the next bus ticket to Calcutta, had some lunch and soon was on the bus to Caclutta. It was one of the luxury buses and after a long time I had a nice comfortable ride which did not hurt my bum. They also played a local Indian bollywood movie, the name I cannot  remember as I was too tired to watch anything on TV and slept nicely all the way.
The next day my flight to Bangalore was on time and soon I was cruising at around 30,000 feet above the sea level and at a speed of around 850kms/hr, as shown on the inflight screens, on the way back to Bangalore.
simsing says:
Such a great journey! Very well written!
Posted on: Nov 02, 2012