Final Day of Texas Adventure

Fort Worth Travel Blog

Day 5 of Texas Adventure

October 20th2009

Today is my final day in this wonderful state of Texas. I go to the lobby and have my hand at the complimentary breakfast that is offered. Some bagels, coffee, pastry, cereal, juice, milk and coffee. Quite good and I take my hand with some good old bananas. Very nutritious and amazing tasting. I then figure out my day today. I am going to check out Fort Worth Texas today. I set my GPS for the Fort Worth Stockyards and set off towards Fort Worth. On route, the gps messes up and takes me off the highway and into a parking of a Wal-Mart. All well, I then make it back onto the freeway and towards Fort Worth. Once getting into Fort Worth I find the Stockyards quite well. Looks like really neat area, like the replica of the wild old western days. I head into the area and find some parking at the far end of the place. Only about 3 dollars to park here.

Here is some information from Wikipedia about the Stockyards. �

The Fort Worth Stockyards is a National Historic District located in Fort Worth, Texas north of the central business district.

Stockyards
The stockyards are a former livestock market which operated under various owners from 1866. The arrival of railroads in 1876 made the area a very important livestock center. Fort Worth remained an important part of the cattleindustry until the 1960.

The Fort Worth Stockyards now celebrates Fort Worth's long tradition as a part of the cattle industry and was designated as a historical district in 1976. Many

bars and nightclubs (including Billy Bob's Texas) are located in the vicinity, and the area has a Western motif.

Stockyards
There is also an opry and a rodeo. The Fort Worth Stockyards are the last standing stockyards in the United States. Some Fort Worth volunteers still run the cattle drives today. They do it so that people can see what it was like in the 1800s.

I go and check out the shops and museums, here. Very neat. I watch the 1130am cattle drive as everyone lines up to watch this. Brings you back to what it was like in the 1800�s.

Afterwards to check out a few western shops and wear a few hats. I think decide I am hungry now , so I go to a nearby burger place and order a burger. I go to the Trail Boss Burgers

Which has huge selection of great burgers. I go and order one Trail Boss Burger with a Bud light. The server tells me there is a special today on that burger and for 50cents I can have a second one. So I do order a second one.

With me order of the first one. I Am the only one in the burger place. This one couple in the corner laughs at me for having all of this food. It is a good deal and the burger is totally amazing. I end up eating both burgers at one sitting. I am amazing I eat all of this. The staff are watching me eat from the side window, I guess they have never seen anyone eat 2 burgers at one sitting.

From here I pay my bill and stumble out of the burger place due to the weight of the burgers. I then head off to the Texas Cowboy Hall of Fame.

This is where The Texas Cowboy Hall of Fame honours Texas men and women who have excelled in the sports of rodeo and cutting. The inductees include Ty Murray (7 time World Champion All Around Cowboy), Tuff Hedeman (4 time World Champion Bull Rider), Charmayne James (11 time World Champion Barrel Racer), Don Gay (8 time World Champion Bull Rider), George Strait and Willie Nelson, just to name a few. Each booth contains photographs and memorabilia; and many of the booths also have video, depicting the honorees� careers in their respective events.

downtown Forth Worth
Also included in the Texas Cowboy Hall of Fame are the Sterquell Wagon Collection and the John Justin Trail of Fame. The Sterquell is billed as �the world�s largest lifestyle wagon collection� and features more than 60 antique wagons, carriages and sleighs.

Overall, very impressive place and I never knew that George Strait was a rodeo hero.

From here I decide my time at the Stockyards is all done. It its time to leave. I decide to set my GPS and drive to downtown Fort Worth.

Once in downtown, it is a nice area to walk about. Several good buildings to see here and interesting.

I Then make my way into Arlington, Texas just a few miles away. I want to see the new Dallas Cowboys Stadium. I set my GPS And make my way towards to find this amazing structure. IT is near a Wal-Mart and I park in the parking lot and walk over.

Here is a lowdown on the Stadium from Wikipedia. �Cowboys Stadium is a

domed stadium with a retractable roof in Arlington, Texas, for the National Football League's Dallas Cowboys.

More of Downtown Fort Worth
It replaced the partially-covered Texas Stadium, which opened in 1971, as the Cowboys' home. It was completed on May 27, 2009 and seats 80,000, but is expandable to hold up to 111,000 through the use of standing areas.[5]

The stadium is the largest domed stadium in the world, has the world's largest column-free interior, and the largest video screen hung from 20 yard line to 20 yard line.

[7] The facility can also be used for a variety of other activities outside of its main purpose (professional football) such as concerts, religious ceremonies, basketball games, college football and high school football contests, soccer matches, Motocross races and rodeos similar to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.

�

So that is the time of the Stadium, no game today to see, but I do manage to go inside to see this amazing structure.

I then make it back to Dallas and figure out my plan for rest of the evening.

While drinking my apple juice in the room, I get text message from my friend Jennifer who I met from Couch surfing. To go for an invite of dinner with her and her friends in another area. I do that and make my way to Gloria�s which is a located a few mile from here. I drive to that Gloria�s and end up circling around the block a few times to look for parking. Ends up there is free valet parking, never used a valet before and park inside. I then find Jennifer and her friends on the outside patio. Nice people, all talk about travel and adventure, I have bud light and some Crevice, like a light meal as I had 2 large burgers today. So just taking it easy. Anyways, afterwards, it was nice to meet them all, but everyone has early start next morning. I bit good byes and head back to the hotel. I have early morning flight tomorrow.

Stockyards

Overall, Dallas was a good time, I wish to get back there soon. Morning drive to airport was good, was able to drop off the car and fly out. However with Delta, in Minneapolis, my fight at 1pm was cancelled and I was forced to sit in the airport for over 9 hours, not fun. But Delta gave me some vouchers and a $200 credit.

Anyways, folks that is my adventure for Texas, it was short but good time. I look forward to

View more information at my travel blog "Exciting World Travel" at www.excitingworldtravels.com

peeyushmalhotra says:
nice
montecarlostar says:
I didn't have time to go to the Stockyards when I was in Fort Worth, but I will def go net time.
dallastexas says:
Sounds like you had a blast and a $200 credit so you could come back to Texas.
lots of hats
inside the Museum
inside the Museum
Fort Worth Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
A Great Place for Best Burgers in Town
I stopped here for lunch when I was in Fort Worth Texas in the stockyards. A very great place for good burgers. They have nice seating inside and a… read entire review
Fort Worth