Day 2 of Texas Adventure - Dallas, Texas

Dallas Travel Blog

Day 2 of Texas Adventure �" Dallas, Texas

Today was my second day of my Texas Adventure. I get up early this morning and get ready and figure out my plan for today. I go into the lobby of the Comfort Inn and enjoy the complimentary breakfast that is being offered.

Breakfast has cold cereal, toast, Yogurt, juices, coffee and lots of fruit very good.

The people here are all for the Football game going on this morning. A major College NCAA game of Texas vs Oklahoma or Red River. It is very exciting atmosphere. Too bad I never got a ticket for the game. As I did not know about it till a few days ago.

Anyways I eat up my breakfast and go back to my room to gather my bags.

I have to go to another hotel today. Due to a certain situation. The Best Western I am going to stay at later has a good rate for rest of the week. For the Friday they were going to charge me over $300 for that night when rest of week was under 80 a night. So go figure.

Anyways I check out my hotel at Comfort Inn and head off for adventure in the car. I figured I need some snacks for my hotel so I set my GPS for the nearest Walmart Supercenter nearby. I drive and follow the directions and end up at the Walmart. I notice there is a store of Lowe�s nearby as well. I think I will check that out.

At the store, I pick up some fruit, sale on Rockstars, Some Soda, Chips and Juice and lots of water. Meals of Champions.

From here I check out my purchases and almost leave without my bottle of apple juice.

A famous Painting!
Good thing the cashier called me over. Very observant. Walmart Customer Service at its finest!

From here I drive over to Lowe�s and check out the home hardware supplies. Very neat.

From there I make my way to find my Best Western Hotel and check in at it. Looks like a good hotel. As it�s in a good area and lots is going on here. I check in and drop off my bags and snacks into my room. I decide I can walk downtown from here.

I walk towards downtown area. Walking in the Market Centre area is not bad, but very quiet. Almost no one around here at all. But seems safe. Only a mile and a half later I am near the American Airlines Center. Very neat place. I love it here.

I walk past the Arena and go to the AT & T plaza in front of the Arena.

A famous Shot. - Had to take a photo of a photo.

At the Plaza there are all of these very big screens with the NCAA football game on them. The plaza is full of over 20 000 people who are sitting in lawn chairs and drinking beer. Looks like a good party and you do not neat to even go to the actual game when in Dallas. Quite amazing. I spend some time here and have one serving of Bud Light. As I have a different agenda today.

I leave the game and head off to the 6thfloor museum. This will be my history lesson of this trip. Here is a complete history of president JFK and all the happenings. It tells you all about his family and everything he did. As well tells about the tragedy of that one-day. Outside on the road in Dealey Plaza is an X on the road of the spot where the president was shot on the horrible day. A very interesting museum, I recommend for all to come and check out.

Spot of where JFK was shot
I have seen the flame in Arlington Cemetery in Washington DC as well the JFK memorial. The 6th floor museum allows you to tour and see the locations for yourself and allows you to make up your own mind as to whether a conspiracy was involved. The building is now a JFK museum dedicated to his entire life and political career. Visitors are given headphones and recorders that allow them to take a self-guided audio tour of the 6th floor. The tour winds it�s way through the floor, working it�s way up until the moment that the President is killed. At that point, you are standing in the very corner of the building that Oswald used to fire 3 shots from his rifle. The actual shooting location is preserved behind plexiglass and is left just as it was on that day but you can peer out of an adjacent window to see the view that Oswald would have had.seum in Boston last year. So coming here completes all pieces to the puzzle.
State Fair in Texas
Good spot to learn more about major events in History of the world.

Afterwards I leave here. I have no photos from inside the museum as your not allowed to take photos here. I leave and make my way and now plan to go to the Texas State Fair, the biggest one in the USA.

I found out it was not good idea to drive there as parking is bad, as over 100 000 people go to the fair a day for the 3 weeks it is in Dallas.

I go take the Public transit of the brand new system called DART. It is very cheap under 2 bucks for a day. I board the train and the trip should only be about 6 miles or so. Which in real world take under 30 minutes of less. Well instead this train took over an hour and half to get to the fair, never again!! We would leave station and then the train would just sit there.

the big ferris wheel
People were very angry and it was not going well for that.

Finally arrive at the State Fair, I get in line and get check by security for weapons, nothing here. 15 bucks to get in and then I had to buy some coupons to buy food. So I stand in line. Finally getting some coupons.

I go to buy a hotdog and its about 20 coupon which is the totally I bought already for 10 bucks. So in other words I paid 10 bucks for a hotdog. All well. On to more of the fair now. Very busy and hot here but very nice. There is a nice big car show here. All the big buildings have all the major car manufacturers here profiling their 2010 models. From GMC, Chevy, Ford to Toyota. I go and spend lots of time looking at the Toyotas, as I am a big import car fan only. Sorry to all you ford people. But Imports last longer.

I continue to walk and check out the fair grounds.

Big Tex - mascot of State Fair
Many many people are here. So much to see and do at this place. The Midway looks good with the Largest Ferries Wheel in North America for a fair ground. Lots of good places for food demonstrations.  Lots of areas to see a nice dog show here as well. Very interesting place.

It was lots of fun to visit the State Fair, as I have not been to one in over a long long time. Last time was some time ago in Minnesota State Fair. Very impressive.

After a few productive hours here it is time to go. Reason I did not stay as I have ticket to see an NBA basketball game tonight. I want to stay here as there is so much going on. Would be lots of fun to continue my time here.

So I make my way out of the park and back to the DART station. Wait about 20 minutes for this train and people are complaining at how slow it is.

Finally the train comes and everyone rushes onto the train. However the ride back to Victory Station was quite fast this time. I think the train decided to behave itself this time.

Head back to Hotel for a bit of an afternoon Siesta.

Later on it was time to head out to get to the NBA game at the American Airlines Center. I decide not to drive downtown and take a taxi to the arena. Cost me around 8 dollars, but I guess that�s ok for the convenience.

I go in and check out the sports shop for the Dallas Mavericks merchandise.

I get to my seat and I find out, the ticket I have is for a Platinum box. I did not want to be in such a fancy area. But all well, it was quite neat to sit in such a spot.

Mavericks Dancers
You get your own server to bring you food. I order a foot long hotdog, fries and a large BUD LIGHT for this event.

It really is different to see a basketball court over a hockey ice. I never was into basketball, but this is going to be my first LIVE NBA game. Perhaps watching it this way would be more fun.

Game starts, the game is between Dallas Mavericks and the Cleveland Cavaliers. Find out that the star play for Cleveland, Lebron James is off sick. So that was bit of a downer to not see Mr. James play.

So game starts, and it seems to be going quite well. Lots of shots and baskets are made. Best part of the game is the Dallas Mavericks Dancers and Cheerleaders. Very impressive. They do try the best to make the game seem like one big party.

I would not tell you about the whole game, as that would be boring.

Start of Game
It was a good neck and neck game right to the end. Dallas Mavericks win the game in the end and its good. It was my first time to a basketball game, however I was never a fan of the sport, so I may not go back to see a Live one again. Overall it was a great experience. It was nice to cross off my �to do� list of seeing this sport live.

Everyone leaves the game and out of the Arena. Head to the House of Blues for a few drinks after the game. It seems that many people do not have specific place that people go to after a game here. Different but still lots going on in this town. So far I am enjoying my time in Dallas.

Tomorrow is another day, as I am off to San Antonio, long drive tomorrow and off to see the Alamo, stay tuned.

Final Score

View more information at my travel blog "Exciting World Travel" at www.excitingworldtravels.com

A famous Painting!
A famous Shot. - Had to take a pho…
A famous Shot. - Had to take a ph…
A neat tree
A neat tree
Driving on I 35
Driving on I 35
American Airlines Center in morning
AT and T plaza during College OU g…
AT and T plaza during College OU …
Plaza again