Mini meet-up with some of the LA crew

Los Angeles Travel Blog

Joy, Alice, Kim, and Jennifer

We were out in Los Angeles for my wife's 20 year college reunion and met up with four TB members for a great big breakfast at Dinah's.

We flew from Indianapolis the night before on a Northwest Airbus 319 and arrived into LAX at about 8:30pm.   Our hotel was the Renaissance at LAX, and was fantastic!   Thank you Priceline.com!   We paid $60 for each night.

Our flight to LAX was very tight and I really did not think we would make it. It was showing 5 open seats with 5 of us nonrevenue passengers listed for it.  I did not want to make much ado about nothing so we just went for it and made it on....barely.

The next morning, we met Joy(pvtjoy), Alice(alicegourmet), Kim(littlekim70), and Jennifer(jenn79) at 9:15.

Waiting for our meals
  I had talked with Joy many times through TB but anytime we had a chance to meet up fell through on my part.   It was a pleasure to meet the LA crew.  They do know how to show hospitality to any TB visitor in LA.  My family also loved to meet them and started new friendships that day.  Kim is so kind and great to talk to about travel!  Baseball too!  My wife Michelle and Kim are both Spanish Teachers so they had something in common there.  We also enjoyed talking with Alice about chinese food!!  Alice is a very sweet person and my family appreciated her kindness.  Joy was great at trying to talk Michelle into going to Istanbul!   It may be working.  I had met Jennifer before, in Rome and it was wonderful to see her again!  She is a very sweet and kind person.  We all pretty much had something different to eat and it all looked good!  I have been eating at Dinah's since I was a little kid.
Lemon, butter, and sugar for the pancakes
   I grew up in Ventura and had many relatives in Long Beach so Dinah's was our stop on any drive down there.  Their specialties are fried chicken and pancakes.  I ordered my usual large german pancake.  It looks like a big bowl and you squeeze lemon on it and sprinkle powdered sugar too.   It is so good!  It is big too!  I barely finished it.

The time flew by and before we knew it, we were heading off.  We had a busy day ahead.  A few days before we flew to LA, my grandmother went into the hospital and so we were going to go visit her.  We left Dinah's and drove to Buena Park to meet family at Knott's Berry Farm for their chicken.

My pancake
  I was not very hungry so I just ate a little snack.  After lunch, it was off to the hospital in Los Alamitos.  We saw my grandmother for about an hour and she was improving so that was a relief.

In the days before our trip, Michelle had somewhat decided that she no longer wanted to go to her reunion.  She said it was seeming like one giant begging for money event.  So we did not go to it.  Instead, we just spent the evening with family in Long Beach.  We went to the beach and later ate dinner together.  At about 7:30, we drove back to our hotel at LAX and went to sleep.  We had an early wake up for Sunday.

We arose at 3 am on Sunday morning in order to get our 6am flight to Minneapolis.

Group shot
  This flight was a Northwest 757-300 and was wide open for nonrev travel.   It was a routine 3 hour flight to MSP, where we were greeted with nasty 35 degree weather!  I was thinking we could easily get stuck in Minneapolis since all three connections to Indianapolis were nearly full.  We did not make the first one, which was at 12:30 but we did get the last three seats on the next one at 3:30.  The trip was too quick but that is how it worked out.

If you ever get a chance to meet these four TB members, I highly recommend it.   They are gret people and friends!

Thank you all for meeting us at Dinah's!

jenn79 says:
no worries - it was a really great time! tell her I say hello as well! =)
vulindlela says:
It was fun Jennifer!
Thanks for your help getting it together...
Michelle has not been on lately but says hello!
jenn79 says:
omg just saw this!! =) So lovely meeting Michelle and seeing you again!!!! =)
Waiting for our meals
Lemon, butter, and sugar for the p…
Lemon, butter, and sugar for the …
Dinahs