Hamburg, DE

Hamburg Travel Blog

Day 4: Hamburg

Well, I am on the train going to Hamburg, today is one of the days I am really looking forward to.  After getting about eight hours sleep I got up had some breakfast, showered, packed up and made my way to the Hauptbahnhof.  It is a cold day but sunny.  Today my only real plan is to get to Hamburg, check in relax and then make my way to the game, which is fine with me as much walking as I did yesterday, a little sore today.

The terrain in this part of Germany is pretty flat, but lush land, lots of trees, again reminds me of Missouri.

Hamburg is the second largest port in Europe behind, I believe Rotterdam in the Netherlands.  It should be interesting to see.

Tonight Germany plays Finland in the World Cup Qualifiers, now Saturday Germany qualified for the World Cup by beating Russia 1-0 in Moskow, so tonight is not a big game for Deutschland as far as qualifying but it should be fun none the less.  It is cold and I wonder what that means for the game.  It will be my first time to go to a soccer game of two countries, the only soccer I have seen live is the Wizards, which is good but nothing on this scale.

Having just settled into my hotel, I went out for a little snack, I went to one of the best snack foods in Germany, brought to you by…the Turkish people.  My favorite is a Döner Dürüm, which is a little like a gyro but so much better.  Served on what would almost be a tortilla, it is thinly sliced lamb meat, with some tomato, cucumber, and little cabbage and some yummy sauce to boot.  After this I got ready and went out to the game.  The city was a buzz with this match, people everywhere dressed in Jersey’s, black, red and yellow beads flowers, etc.  The atmosphere going to the game was fantastic, people were singing.  When they found out that I was American with a German jersey they were interested and we talked a lot about this.

People in Germany don’t look at people with a natural distrust, but they see you as a friend until you prove otherwise.  People are quick to ask you to share a drink, a table or just continue your conversation with ease.  In the states it can seem that we are at times the opposite.

The game was a blast, though Germany played the first half very soft and allowed Finland an early first goal.  At the half I went with the family I was sitting next to, to the concourse and we were chatting about many things.  Quickly in line for…well another good Germany beer I began speaking with another person from Paderborn, which is not far from where the Langner side of my family comes from.

We started in German then after about five minutes he realized only then that I was not from Germany, which I found as a compliment of my language practice.  People really do like us as Americans, don’t always like our policies but they don’t hate everything about us as we tend to do (remember “Freedom Fries” instead of French Fries).  The second half Germany really stepped up their play and kept pushing in the final minutes of the match Lukas Podolski, finally put one in and the place went crazy!  The game ended a 1-1 draw, but people went away happy.  Another thing about their games is that at the end of the game people stay around and chat, beer or snack sales don’t end with the game or at half time.  After a little while of chatting, they wanted to meet in an area of night life called Sankt Pauli, or St. Pauli (hence where the beer we know comes from).

I went to the hotel, then met up with them.  This area of St. Pauli is an interesting place, it is a vibrant nightlife street yet with also, if you will the Red-Light district.  I knew it because this is where The Beetles got their start, yeah not in Britain.  There is a place commemorating this.  I was tired, so were the Heidenberger family, so we did not stay out long.  It was a day to remember and not as busy as the others.
HSV Stadion
HSV Stadion
Fan Club von Deutschland!
Fan Club von Deutschland!
Phillip Lahm before the game!
Phillip Lahm before the game!
Before the game.
Before the game.
During the game.
During the game.
Germanuy vs. Finland
Germanuy vs. Finland
After Lukas Podolskis goal!!!
After Lukas Podolski's goal!!!
More crazyiness after the goal!!!
More crazyiness after the goal!!!
etc.
etc.
after the game, people singing!
after the game, people singing!
Shrine to the Beatles
Shrine to the Beatles
Street where Beatles made their na…
Street where Beatles made their n…
Hamburg